Bowsprit chamfer bit

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Bowsprit chamfer bit

Postby DanaDCole on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:54 am

Does anyone have a recommendation on the size chamfer bit to use on the bowsprit? It's hard to tell, but I tried a 1/2" and that seemed way too small when looking at the photos.
DanaDCole

Re: Bowsprit chamfer bit

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:24 pm

After not getting any replies so far, I finally decided to go look at Lowe's. They had a 1 and 5/16", 45-degree bit, which I purchased and used to chamfer the bowsprit. I tried it on a scrap piece first and it looks about right. If it's too small, I can buy a bigger bit and make it bigger. If too large, well too bad.

The biggest problem I had was the bit wanting to pull the router to the right when I was starting the cut, which made a couple of my chamfers a little too long--not enough to hurt anything. The only thing is they don't all line up, so I may try evening them out manually. I won't try it with a router--the chamfers will just keep getting longer and longer!

After the first cut I went from my one-hand router to my bigger one with two handles and that helped a lot but not completely.
DanaDCole

Postby John in CC on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:13 pm

When you are cutting with a router be very careful when cutting in the direction that the bit is spinning. That is a climb cut. This is the pulling you felt when starting your cut. It is easier to start at the other end of your work piece and go the opposite direction and avoid the climb cut. If the chamfer you prefer is fairly large make a few passes with the bit not extended the entire desired depth with each pass getting progressively deeper until you have reached your ultimate depth. It will not only make a cleaner cut but a safer one.

Be Safe,
John
John in CC

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I always cut in the direction opposite the pull, but in this case it tended to grab and pull at the beginning of the cut before I could catch it. I wish I had known about making shallower cuts and advancing the bit a little at a time, that might have prevented the problem.

I may use that technique to try and even out the cuts--after practicing on scrap wood first.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum