Bulkhead stitching Question

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Bulkhead stitching Question

Postby Jarod on Wed May 16, 2018 9:33 am

So I have been plugging away at my pocket ship and I'm getting to the fun stitch and glue. So I got the bottom stitched to the keel, bulkhead 4 in place, I prob need to fit it a tad better with some sanding. But then I got bored of that and Stitched one of the side panels in. Then I noticed there was no way I was going to be able to stitch in the other bulkheads without balancing on the keel or rigging up some mission impossible ball crusher and hanging from the ceiling.

Is it wise to stitch the smaller bulkheads (cabin floor bulkheads 3-7?) before finishing the side panels? Or I'm just crazy in thinking the bottom panels will not hold my 200 pound body.

https://i.imgur.com/4udxR5k.jpg
Jarod

Re: Bulkhead stitching Question

Postby Pastorjim on Wed May 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Hey Jarod... I'm pretty sure that there isn't an easy way... at least I sure didn't find one... LOL
But, there was a thread awhile back with some advice on this. I think the title was "Recommendation for initial tack welds"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=778

Good luck and have fun!!!
Jim
Pastorjim

Postby riverron on Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 am

Jarod,
I would not step on the bottom panels directly. You would probably hear a lot of cracking. I managed to balance on the keel to get a couple of the bulkheads stitched in place. I then used a 1X12X4ft board and laid it across them. Be sure to clamp both ends down or you will be flying!
This will give you a platform to stand on to stitch the others and as a platform to do fillets on the various bulkheads and laying glass.

This worked for me and I had to climb into my boat to do all the work, since I had the cradled/boat raised up on dollies to be able to move around.

Note: Reminder to double check bulkhead 2 cleat. I recall there was an error in the height on the plans. If you are not aware, get back with me and I will search and provide the details.

thanks
riverron

Postby riverron on Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 am

Jarod,
I would not step on the bottom panels directly. You would probably hear a lot of cracking. I managed to balance on the keel to get a couple of the bulkheads stitched in place. I then used a 1X12X4ft board and laid it across them. Be sure to clamp both ends down or you will be flying!
This will give you a platform to stand on to stitch the others and as a platform to do fillets on the various bulkheads and laying glass.

This worked for me and I had to climb into my boat to do all the work, since I had the cradled/boat raised up on dollies to be able to move around.

Note: Reminder to double check bulkhead 2 cleat. I recall there was an error in the height on the plans. If you are not aware, get back with me and I will search and provide the details.

thanks
riverron

Return to PocketShip Forum