Bow Compartment Fiberglass

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Bow Compartment Fiberglass

Postby jwv630 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi Guys

Rushin' to get stuff done before winter sets in again. 2 questions for ya below. Thanks.

1. I'm getting ready to fiberglass the forward deck in the bow compartment. Thinking 2 layers of fiberglass there. Do you think this is 'overkill'? Note: I've already fiberglassed the bottom
side of the deck before I installed it.

2. If laying down 2 layers of fiberglass, would you:
*Put down the first layer with 3 coats of epoxy; let cure; then the 2nd layer with 3 more coats of epoxy??
*Or put down both layers of fiberglass, one on top of the other dry, then fill with 3 or more coats of epoxy??

Thanks again and good luck,
Jimmy V
'Miss Jen II'
jwv630

Re: Bow Compartment Fiberglass

Postby [email protected] on Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:23 pm

The only justification i see for adding extra layers of glass to the forward deck is to prevent a dropped anchor from making a dent.
Of course, you could also drop a heavy object on any other part of the boat, so you had better put two layers of glass everywhere. :-)

On my boat I'll be installing the pre-cut sea-dek material that CLC sells, and that should give the forward deck all the protection it needs.
I also glassed the underside of the forward deck, but only as far forward as the first bulkhead.

If I wanted to put two layers of glass somewhere, I would probably put down the first layer with one coat of epoxy squeegeed over it, and immediately add the second layer the same way
(and once they both cure, add two more coats of epoxy).

Doug
[email protected]

Postby jwv630 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:11 am

Hi Doug

Thank you. I'm gonna take your fiberglass advice; makes sense. Getting on it today.

I checked out the Seadek. It's neat but seems to be more for traction and padding rather than strength; might add it at the
end of the build.

Thanks again
Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby [email protected] on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:29 am

I put the pre-cut SeaDek from CLC in the Skerry I built a few years ago, and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure it has saved me from slipping and hurting myself at some point.
And it has showed no hint of staining, deterioration, or coming loose.
[email protected]

Return to PocketShip Forum