Launching and recover on trailex trailer

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Launching and recover on trailex trailer

Postby buckeye on Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:53 am

My local boat ramp must be relatively shallow-sloped.
I have to put the rear wheels of my truck well into the water to get the boat to float enough to push it off (with significant effort)

My plan:

1) extend the trailer hitch receiver at launch. (I plan to use 2 daisy chained 18 inch extenders)

2) Replace the front 4' of carpet on the keel rest with high density plastic.

Interested in comments on this plan.
I probably wont get to try it out until Spring.

Mark
buckeye

Re: Launching and recover on trailex trailer

Postby PerraHunter on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:45 am

Good Morning,

I am interested in what you come up with for a solution to your launching difficulties. I have this same problem.

This winter I played around with using a rope tied between the trailer and the tow hitch. It seemed to work well when I tried it on a shallow hill on a nearby dead end street, using a trailer with less that 500 pound gross weight.

I am somewhat apprehensive to try this for the first time on a boat four times heavier, in front of a critical audience. I am open to suggestions.

Russell

Ps. Are there any Pocketships in New England who have this mastered, and would be willing to meet at the boat ramp to help out a newby?
PerraHunter

Postby Brent65 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:47 am

Pocketship Sailors,

I'm currently studying trailers as I will need one for my PS. Are others also finding it difficult to launch using the Trailex trailer? Are you happy with your Trailex trailer? Would you buy again?
Brent Butikofer
Build Blog: http://www.idahopocketship.wordpress.com
Previous Builds: Scamp, Skiff America 20
Never Stop Exploring
Never Stop Learning
Brent65

Postby buckeye on Tue May 31, 2022 9:52 am

I can confirm that by adjusting the bunk boards and using the receiver extensions, I was able to get the boat to float off the trailer without putting my disc brakes into salt water.
I used 2 18" class II receiver extensions for a 36" longer tongue, assembled at the boat ramp prior to launch & recover. Very easy.
So I'm pleased with the current configuration without having to put a plastic slide on the keel rest.

It still might be nice when launching with a heavy hull full of gear and provisions.
buckeye

Postby buckeye on Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:11 am

So while I should note that this system works well for me, moving the hitch ball 36" back of the truck does apply a torque on the hitch mechanism.
I'm comfortable with this as my truck is rated for high tow loads (Chevy colorado) though I haven't done the calculations.
And using just on the ramp imputes almost no dynamic loads.
The tongue weight is probably in the 150 lb range.
But if you're using a unibody car or SUV you might think twice before using this approach.
buckeye

Return to PocketShip Forum