Known Errors in Plans or Manual

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Known Errors in Plans or Manual

Postby Brent65 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:33 pm

I learned of an error in the plans that I'm sure most of your are already aware of, but I wasn't. The plans call for the nose block to me made out of a block of wood 2-1/4" x 4-1/4". Problem is, that's too small. The manual calls for this same chunk of wood to be 2-1/4" x 4-3/4", which works.

I thought it might be nice to list all other known discrepancies for those who follow. If you know of any additional errors, please post them here for all to see.

Best,
Brent
Brent Butikofer
Build Blog: http://www.idahopocketship.wordpress.com
Previous Builds: Scamp, Skiff America 20
Never Stop Exploring
Never Stop Learning
Brent65

Re: Known Errors in Plans or Manual

Postby slash2 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:51 pm

Thanks Brent for starting this thread; I've been accumulating errata and was going to post it it at some point. Here is what I have so far. Keep in mind I acquired a partially built Pocketship (at the floorboard install section) and I just installed Dorades and have built the spars, so my 'finds' are not complete.
These aren't all 'errors' per se, some are things to watch out for. Just about all of these have been mentioned in the forums.

Feel free to correct me if I have any of this wrong.

Pocketship Manual Errata

1. Drain holes are not detailed until the end of the manual. In some instances, it is easier to drill these holes before installing parts (Dorade, seatbacks, companionway hood).
2. The hole specified for the centerboard pendant is too small. It should be 7/8”, filled, and drilled to 5/8”.
3. The rear flotation should be added before mounting the seats.
4. The wood supplied for the spinnaker sheet blocks and gallows/mooring cleat blocks are not wide enough to span the stringers. Make new blocks or add wood to make the block fit.
5. The vertical positions of the floor cleats at bulkheads 2 and 8 may not be quite right. Check against the other floor supports to be sure they are in line.
6. The side cleats that support the forward end of the seats may be slightly higher than the centerboard cleats. This will cause the cabin rear wall to not fit flush across its bottom.
7. The seat backs may be a bit short. A filler can be used. Alternatively, use the seat backs to position the cabin rear wall.
8. No cleats for the seat backs are specified along the transom and transom skirt. It may be good to add these.
9. The mooring cleat backing blocks inside the Dorades are first mentioned just before sealing the Dorades up. It is easier to install them before assembling the Dorade sides.
10. The wood supplied for the spacer at the rudder trailing edge is short by about 1/2”. One can fill the space or make the wood spacer above it a bit bigger.
11. The pattern for the spacer at the rudder leading edge is misidentified as "Companionway Slide Side Pattern" in the manual.
12. On the plans, the bowsprit’s most forward chamfer metric length is wrong. It says ‘927.1mm’ but should be ‘800.1mm’. The inch measurement (31 ½) is correct. Notice that the side and top views show the chamfer ending at different spots.
13. The bowsprit-to-tabernacle mounting hole is not shown on the drawing or mentioned in the manual. I estimate at it 1 3/8” from the end of the bowsprit.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby Brent65 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:00 pm

Steve,

Most excellent detailing of known errata. Thank you so much for sharing.
Brent Butikofer
Build Blog: http://www.idahopocketship.wordpress.com
Previous Builds: Scamp, Skiff America 20
Never Stop Exploring
Never Stop Learning
Brent65

Postby Dmitriy on Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:01 am

Hi friends!
  I want to ask the plans builders about the keel block. Do you have problems with keel block length?
  In the plans that I have, this is a gap of about 2.5 cm between the rear end of the CB trunk and the front end of the keel block.
  I made a short video in which I align two parts and center them using an pivot point.  Then I have a gap at the end of the CB trunk.  Therefore, the keel block must be made longer.
  Has anyone noticed the same?

https://youtu.be/YKEc-L5sUTw
Dmitriy

Postby Hooky on Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:01 am

G'Day Dmitriy, I experienced the same problem but unfortunately I had already cut and shaped the tapered keel block off the keel plan so I had to add a filler block in the space. So you are in a good position to cut the tapered keel block longer to fit.
Cheers Mate
Terry (Hooky)

https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com/
Hooky

Postby Dmitriy on Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:31 am

Thanks Terry! When I noticed the mistake, I already had a stick ready. I decided to make a new, long, more accurate one. I hope this information will help future builders.
Dmitriy

Postby Jray on Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:37 am

Here’s another discrepancy:
The PocketShip Sailing Hardware Package comes with 96" inches of sail track for the mast, but the Pocketship instructions (p 268) say I need 102", and that it should start 5" from the mast pivot. Can you please clarify this for me?

Answer from CLC:

Thanks for your question. Below is a drawing of the sail track lengths and placement.

The 96" is correct for the sail track and the distance above the mast pivot point to the start of sail track is 3 5/8.
Attachments
3CC0D9B9-0C78-4569-88ED-583F39726D7E.png
3CC0D9B9-0C78-4569-88ED-583F39726D7E.png (62.93 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Jray

Postby BillR on Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:08 pm

Brent65 wrote:I learned of an error in the plans that I'm sure most of your are already aware of, but I wasn't. The plans call for the nose block to me made out of a block of wood 2-1/4" x 4-1/4". Problem is, that's too small. The manual calls for this same chunk of wood to be 2-1/4" x 4-3/4", which works.

I thought it might be nice to list all other known discrepancies for those who follow. If you know of any additional errors, please post them here for all to see.

Best,
Brent

Thanks Brent!

I am about to start cutting this piece. I scanned the drawing, so I wouldn't have to cut it up, and printed the cross section to size. Measuring it with a ruler and comparing my printout with the drawing clued me in that there was a 1/2" discrepancy between the "template" and the measurement called out.
Apparently I'm a boat builder. I will have to wait to find out if I'm a sailor.
Greenville, SC
BillR

Return to PocketShip Forum