Centreboard Pivot Question

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Centreboard Pivot Question

Postby SMHolmans on Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:12 am

Hi all. I am about to install my centreboard and have hit a small problem. The manual calls for a 9mm s/s bolt to make the pivot pin, but this does not seem to exist - in the UK, anyway. I can only find M8 or M10. The obvious answer seems to be drilling the hole out to 10mm, but I'm curious what others did?
Cheers!
SMHolmans

Re: Centreboard Pivot Question

Postby slash2 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:23 pm

I'm in the US and have the full kit which, I think, supplies a 3/8" bolt which is 9.52mm. Since you create the hole with drill-fill-drill, then you can use just about anything. Personally if I was using metric hardware I'd size up to 10mm. It's rare when one says they wish they had used a smaller fastener...
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby [email protected] on Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:20 pm

One other tip: It is traditionally considered poor form to use a threaded bolt as a hinge or pivot, since the threads will tend to chew up the sides of the hole.
For the centerboard sheave, I found a SS bolt that was longer than necessary, but had a un-threaded portion almost as long as the width of the centerboard trunk.
Then I cut down the threaded portion to give the bolt the correct overall length.

For the mast pivot, I did something a bit more elaborate: I took a piece of 3/8" un-threaded SS rod, and cut threads on each end, leaving a 3 inch un-threaded
portion in the middle. In addition to being gentler on the mast and tabernacle, the rod will be less likely to bend, since the lack of threads makes it quite a bit stiffer.
[email protected]

Postby SMHolmans on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:06 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm going for a 10mm s/s unthreaded bolt, as suggested.
Happy building/sailoring!
SMHolmans

Postby [email protected] on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:08 pm

Yet another tip: Originally I drilled the pivot holes in the board and the trunk the exact same size as the bolt.
But when I test-fitted the board, I noticed that any side-to-side flexing put a lot of strain on the pivot.
So I re-drilled the hole on the board 1/16" larger to eliminate this problem. (I saw no reason to
make the holes in the trunk any larger, since the pivot rod would be glued in place.)
[email protected]

Return to PocketShip Forum