Transom Skirt: Help

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Transom Skirt: Help

Postby jwv630 on Mon May 02, 2022 2:24 pm

Hi Guys

I'm at the point of attaching the transom skirt (page 149-150 in the manual) - and really scratching my head hard.
In prepping for this, I place the transom skirt on top of the transom and cant it forward to meet the 1.5" x 1.5" blocks of timber already epoxied to the inside faces of the topside panels. But only the inside edge of the bottom of the transom skirt meets with the inside edge of the transom. Seems to me that an edge to edge joint isn't gonna be very strong. (Yes, I know the inside gets a fillet). Should the transom skirt's bottom edge be beveled - maybe significantly - so that there is more mating surface between the 2? Maybe to the point of the entire bottom of the transom skirt resting on the transom...?

The manual calls for 'the top of the transom should receive a heavy bead of thickened epoxy'. I assume this is only where the 2 surfaces will meet - and not the top of the entire transom. Stuck here with plenty of salty language...

Your input greatly appreciated.
Jimmy V
Victory II
jwv630

Re: Transom Skirt: Help

Postby [email protected] on Mon May 02, 2022 6:49 pm

My skirt ended up getting attached a bit further aft, compared to the drawings on page 176 of the manual.
The plane of the rear surface of the skirt would just touch the upper rear edge of the transom.
The filleting is very strong, and I am not at all worried about the strength of the joint.
See the photos below. BTW, you will need a lot of clamps for the upper edge trim!

I am very happy how nice it turned out.

transom_skirt.jpg
transom_skirt.jpg (177.17 KiB) Viewed 866 times

transom_skirt2.jpg
transom_skirt2.jpg (186.63 KiB) Viewed 864 times
[email protected]

Re: Transom Skirt: Help

Postby jwv630 on Mon May 02, 2022 7:40 pm

Hey Doug

Thanks very much; helpful!
Your boat's lookin' good....

Jimmy V