Capsize test

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Capsize test

Postby Arjen on Wed May 11, 2022 12:54 pm

I wonder if anybody performed a capsize test on the pocketship…

Last weekend I tried to capsize my Pocketship (along shore).
I heeled over my boat with the top halyard but despite of the increasing leverage I couldn’t get it further then around 45°with my full weigth of 185 pounds!

My aluminum Pocketship might be a bit heavier but I took out the lead ballast under floor boards earlier (135 pounds) leaving only 130 pounds in the keel!

Of course this is quite reassuring as it is an indication of a very solid shape-stability which I expected already.

Please your experiences…

Kind regards
Arjen
Arjen

Re: Capsize test

Postby JonLee on Fri May 13, 2022 10:58 pm

I did something similar to what you did in order to access my centerboard. With all the internal ballast removed and using a line to the masthead line with a 3:1 purchase, it was about all I could do to haul her over. I got her down to where the portlights were just about in the water.
JonLee

Postby [email protected] on Mon May 16, 2022 12:25 pm

From my limited experience sailing my Pocketship, I am not concerned about capsizing or swamping as much as falling overboard during a sudden knock-down.
The shape of the cockpit and the lack of rails or lifelines means that if the hull is rotated 80 or 90 degrees, you might simply tumble out of it.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby dbeck on Tue May 17, 2022 2:59 pm

Actually, falling overboard in a sudden gust or irregular wave pattern is also my main concern: At an angle of - say - 70 degree, I imagine my fingers will slip off the very nice smooth finish of the 'upper' seatback especially in wet conditions.

Has someone considered gluing some strips of wood as a 'grabrail' on the outside(!) of the seatback? It does not need to be massive. Maybe s.th. of the same thickness as the toerails on the cabin roof (or even smaller) might be a considerable improvement. If flush with the upper side of the seatback, the optics of the boat might still be ok. What do you think?

Dietrich
Attachments
grabrail.jpg
grabrail.jpg (17.22 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
dbeck

Postby [email protected] on Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 am

dbeck wrote:Has someone considered gluing some strips of wood as a 'grabrail' on the outside(!) of the seatback? It does not need to be massive. Maybe s.th. of the same thickness as the toerails on the cabin roof (or even smaller) might be a considerable improvement. If flush with the upper side of the seatback, the optics of the boat might still be ok. What do you think?

I might also consider attaching them to the inside edge, as long as they would not poke me in the back when seated.

Doug
[email protected]

Return to PocketShip Forum