Forward Anchor Locker Mod

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Forward Anchor Locker Mod

Postby Hooky on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:50 am

G'day fellow PocketShip enthusiasts.
Well, I have a feeling this mod may be a little controversial and stimulate some interesting discussion and comments.
After considerable thought and a few sleepless planing nights, I decided to build a locker in the forward bow compartment between the stem and BH1. The locker will store the anchor chain and rope not the anchor.
It will be located on the starboard side in the top half of the bow compartment, roughly taking up around a quarter of the forward buoyancy area. Access will be through a sealed hatch located on the forward deck between BH1 and the lower breast hook next to the bow sprit. The locker floor will be sloping from the centerline back to the SB hull side with a drain hole to allow any water to flow back to the sea. A transom plug will be installed in the drain hole to maintain an airtight chamber when sailing.
An inspection port will be installed in the locker floor to provide access to the bow eye bolts if required, this will eliminate the need for the inspection port in BH1.
The anchor will be stored on the port side of the forward deck to even out the weight distribution.
I have commenced construction check it out on the blog........
Cheers
Terry from down under.

https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com
Hooky

Re: Forward Anchor Locker Mod

Postby Bflat on Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:34 pm

Does your plan mean having to shackle/unshackle the anchor to/from the chain to use the anchor each time? What about ventilation to allow the chain and rode to dry out in the closed space? Is the plan to just leave the locker open for that?
Bflat

Postby dbeck on Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Hi Terry,

if anchor and chain get stored that high up - do you intend adding more ballast below the floor boards?

Cheers,

Dietrich
dbeck

Postby Bflat on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:16 am

I made a fiberglass "anchor box" for an 8 pound danforth anchor. The anchor is tied to the box and the box is tied to the bowsprit. It's worked well over 6 seasons.
2E13678F-F0A8-43CA-898F-25D905993657_1_105_c.jpeg
2E13678F-F0A8-43CA-898F-25D905993657_1_105_c.jpeg (123.25 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
Bflat

Postby [email protected] on Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:03 pm

Bflat wrote:I made a fiberglass "anchor box" for an 8 pound danforth anchor. The anchor is tied to the box and the box is tied to the bowsprit. It's worked well over 6 seasons.

How did you make that fiberglass box?
[email protected]

Postby Bflat on Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:52 am

93452F62-4DDE-4369-ACFF-3EB3AB6ED2C0_1_105_c.jpeg
93452F62-4DDE-4369-ACFF-3EB3AB6ED2C0_1_105_c.jpeg (124.64 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

First I made a prototype out of wood and used that for one season.

Here's how I made the fiberglass version:

1. I made a male mold out of foam board using dimensions from inside the wooden prototype.
2. Laid up glass on the foam mold.
3. Dissolved the foam mold with acetone.
4 Trimmed the glass edges to shape.
5. Drilled the various drain holes and tie down holes
6. Painted it.
7. Glued carpet to areas where chafe is a concern (bottom and parts of sides/corners). I didn't carpet the whole bottom (just a few strips)
for better drainage and to allow the foredeck to dry.
8. One anchor rod protrudes from the box underneath the bowsprit. It fits loosely into a rubber tube to protect the bowsprit from chafe
(see attached photo).
Bflat

Postby [email protected] on Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Bflat wrote:Here's how I made the fiberglass version:

Interesting! How many layers of glass does it have? How difficult was it to drape the glass over the mold?

Doug
[email protected]

Postby Bflat on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:31 am

[email protected] wrote:
Bflat wrote:Here's how I made the fiberglass version:

Interesting! How many layers of glass does it have? How difficult was it to drape the glass over the mold?

Doug

Draping wasn't a problem since I didn't use large fiberglass pieces. Instead, I built it up using many relatively small pieces of varying size (mostly scraps) much like doing paper machete. I couldn't really say how many; I just kept building it up until I thought it was enough. The wall thickness is a bit more than 1/8 inch (more than that before sanding, of course).

Bob
Bflat

Postby [email protected] on Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:00 pm

Bflat wrote:Draping wasn't a problem since I didn't use large fiberglass pieces. Instead, I built it up using many relatively small pieces of varying size (mostly scraps) much like doing paper machete. I couldn't really say how many; I just kept building it up until I thought it was enough. The wall thickness is a bit more than 1/8 inch (more than that before sanding, of course).

When I was in school, the art teacher wouldn't let us do paper machete...
[email protected]

Postby Hooky on Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:20 am

Thanks, guys, for the feedback, I have completed the locker (except for the top sealed access hatch which is yet to be built into the foredeck)
and was surprised how much space it provided.
The screw in inspection port provides easy access to the bow eye nuts and the transom plug that screws into
the drainage hole ensures the space will be air-tight for buoyancy.
I have listed the step-by-step construction on my blog, check it out at
https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com

My thoughts and responses to Bob and Dietrich's questions:
When cruising I will unshackle the anchor from the rode and close up the locker to provide buoyancy.
The anchor will then be secured on the foredeck, I like Bobs anchor box mod on the foredeck area.
When anchored up and when the boat is stored, I will leave the top hatch open and remove the drainage plug to
provide ventilation.
Regarding Dietrich's question: I only intend to carry around 15 ft of chain to use as scope when required
and will store this under the floorboards as additional ballast when cruising.
Again, thanks guys for your feedback,
Cheers Terry from down under
Hooky

Return to PocketShip Forum