Current Builders' Status

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Current Builders' Status

Postby BillR on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 pm

I'm way behind all of you!

I ordered the first kit at the beginning of February. Then after exchanging messages with Drew, I decided to add the Timber package to my order, which delayed my shipping date until the end of March.

As Drew pointed out, it will give me time to reread the manual three or more times.

The family and I are excited to get building!
Apparently I'm a boat builder. I will have to wait to find out if I'm a sailor.
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby Dmitriy on Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:39 am

BillR wrote:I'm way behind all of you!

I'm sure there will definitely be people who will start building after you as this boat is very popular. Additionally, I think you are the FIRST aviator in this community who start build a boat )))
Dmitriy

Postby Hooky on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:34 am

Hi guys,
Floorboards are Finished

After coating with 3 layers of epoxy and 5 layers of polyurethane I finally installed the floorboards for the last time. I ran two electrical condutes under the floorboards for any electrical gadgets and covered up all that hard work with cardboard.
Time to mill up some cleats and start the cockpit area.
Cheers.

https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com/
Hooky

Postby Hooky on Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:56 am

Time to start the next stage.......The Cockpit.

I am considering five mods to this area:

1: A wider footwell.
2: An enclosed buoyancy chamber beneath the cockpit footwell in the lazarette area.
3: Built in flush timber hatches replacing the plastic ones.
4: A small storage area built into the footwell space at the transom.
5: Speaker installs in BH 8 with speaker boxes in lazarette space.

The cleats have been milled ready to install.
check out the blog

https://hookypocketship.blogspot.com
Last edited by Hooky on Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hooky

Postby [email protected] on Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:12 pm

Hooky wrote:Time to start the next stage.......The Cockpit.

I am considering four mods to this area:

1: A wider footwell.
2: An enclosed buoyancy chamber beneath the cockpit footwell in the lazarette area.
3: Built in flush timber hatches replacing the plastic ones.
4: A small storage area built into the footwell space at the transom. (Considering making this insulated and can be used as a cooler)

1: After one season of sailing, I have no issues with the stock footwell width. (I wear size 10.5 shoes). I never had any
discomfort or awkwardness from getting my foot jammed in it.

2: My lazarettes are stock, with the pink foam underneath the footwell exposed. Small objects tend to got lost underneath the foam,
so having a solid inner wall in the lazarettes would be nice.

3: I have the specified brand of hatches. They are overpriced, but definitely waterproof.

4: Probably a good idea. The rearmost foot or two of the footwell is useless for your feet, and in my boat, random loose items tend to get tossed there.
The ideal solution might be a removable insulated box that fits nicely in the space.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby slash2 on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:06 am

Well, I made a milestone today - my boat turned turtle! (well, I flipped it over). I don't have a lot of space nor a lot of available friends, so I had to be creative. I suspended the boat on two big ratchet straps from the oak ceiling beams. Then used a rope come-along to spin it in place. Took two of us about an hour all together, compared to hours and hours of thinking and worrying about it beforehand...

You can also see my steam bent oak rubrails. They came out pretty good. Need to be trimmed and sanded of course.

Oh and a small tip for those starting out: lay a strip of packing tape or plastic along the cradle where the hull and keel will touch it. I had to do some uncomfortable prying and hammering at the cradle under the suspended boat to free it from the inevitable epoxy drips.
Attachments
start .jpg
ready
start .jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
middle.jpg
turning
middle.jpg (19.1 KiB) Viewed 14988 times
end.jpg
flipped!
end.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 14986 times
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby Creekboater on Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:39 pm

This is great Steve! I have been thinking about the same type setup. Glad to hear it went well.

Great tip for the cradle by the way. Thanks.
http://sisterspocketship.com
* Jimmy Skiff II
* amateur for sure (builder/sailor)
* impossible to insult my intelligence
Creekboater

Postby Hooky on Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:44 am

Update from Down Under
Cockpit is nearing completion. It's taken extra time due to the mods I decided on but I'm very happy with the progress.
The mods include: (1) Widening the cockpit floor, (2) Extending the cockpit floor sides in the lazarette area and (3) Flush timber lazarette hatches.
(1) The widening of the cockpit floor was fairly simple and quite easy to do (thanks to Brent's blog post)
(2) The cockpit floor extensions that box in the flotation buoyancy in the lazarette area required extra support cleats an access hatch and the obvious cockpit side extensions.
(3) The flush timber lazarette hatches were certainly the biggest head scratcher mod. They required a lot of labor to ensure they drained into the cockpit and were strong enough.
I have posted the construction of the above on the blog,
check it out.
Terry
Hooky

Postby dbeck on Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:57 pm

Update from PocketShip Build in Europe

This week we installed (=stitched + tack welds) the seatback frames, cabin rear wall and upper side panels. The last day I have been working on filleting and glass tape at the joint between deck and cabin rear wall.

Next will be filleting and glassing the joints between the upper side panels and bulkhead 2, cabin rear wall, lower side panels.
dbeck

Postby Hooky on Wed May 03, 2023 6:08 am

The Lazarette areas are now complete and painted. The flush timber hatch support channels and the extensions to the cockpit footwell sides are installed. (These were two modifications from the original plans)
I am currently painting the area forward of BH 8 prior to installing the cockpit floors, much easier for this old bloke to paint this confined space now.
Check out my progress on the Blog.
Cheers Terry from down under.

Hooky

PreviousNext

Return to PocketShip Forum