Introduction - Build starting in SC

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Introduction - Build starting in SC

Postby BillR on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:08 am

Introduction and questions...

I live in the upstate of South Carolina and ordered the first kit yesterday, after spending a few months reviewing the plans and discussing the build with my wife and 14-year-old son. Both have agreed to help and are excited to get started. (That will probably change when it comes time to sand fiberglass.)

This will be our second long-term project. Our first being an airplane which took 2400 hours to build over four years and has been flying for 15 years and 1100 hours. (It was built of riveted aluminum with a few fiberglass parts I had to modify or fabricate. Yes, I have come to terms with working with fiberglass.) We figure it is time to slow down from. 175 knots to 5 knots.

The first kit has been ordered but now I wonder if I should start on the spars first. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Like when I built my plane, I'm sure there are many mods, additions, accessories, etc. you have added to your builds that you are very pleased with, can you share those? (I know some of those I can't take advantage of until much later in the build.)

Bill
Apparently I'm a boat builder. I will have to wait to find out if I'm a sailor.
Greenville, SC
BillR

Re: Introduction - Build starting in SC

Postby Dmitriy on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:24 am

Bill, congratulations! I wish you good luck with your build. I think with family helpers you will do it quickly.
Start from the spars? It seems to me that it is difficult and responsible. I would start with simpler details.
Dmitriy

Postby BillR on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:55 am

Thanks Demitriy!

I've enjoyed following your build!
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby slash2 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:28 am

Congrats! I don’t think the order matters a lot. It depends a bit on what parts you are most comfortable with. For me, I am environmentally challenged in that I don’t have the hull in a heated space. So I built spars, rudder, hood, etc in the basement during winter. Otherwise I have pretty much followed the order in the manual.

As far as what changes various builders have done- definitely check out the thread “known errors..”. A search will locate it. That will point out common errors or problems that have been found. It will also be useful to at least skim the postings to see other tips and ideas. Before I start any new part of my construction I do a search - say on ‘rudder’ before building the rudder. Usually I find good tips.

And check out the various blogs listed. I’ve also discovered a nice yahoo channel by Alan Hulme, AHAF, that I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned here. It’s a nice , concise, view of a build that is almost complete. I think he is up to 22 installments.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby BillR on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:28 pm

Thanks Slash2, searching the forum prior to jumping into the next task is a great idea.

I have been following Alan Hulme's build since last fall and have enjoyed his simple, short, informative, and entertaining videos.

I have also been through a number of the builder blogs but dummy me didn't keep a list of all the cool touches I liked. For example, John B. put a stainless-steel step on his transom and he used different hinges for his rudder. Now I have to go find those posts of his and document the parts as I thought they were really good.

The other thing, and I know I don't have to worry about these things for a year, at best, are the electronics; radio, GPS, transponder (are they required?), ELT (are they required?), PFD's, fire extinguishers, compass, position and anchorage lights, and so much more.

Although I grew up sailing the Great Lakes, and I hope my Pocketship will grace those waters some day, it has been decades since I have held a sheet and/or tiller in my hand.

I am looking forward to this journey so that the boat and my family can take many more journeys!
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby Creekboater on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:34 am

Hi there Bill.

Congratulations on getting started, it's a fun project. I started with a kit back in May and just do this on the weekends, so I'm not terribly far ahead of you.

Talking about sequencing, slash is right, whatever works for you. For instance, I haven't even begun stitching my hull yet. Instead I chose to complete my spars, rudder, and centerboard, as well as epoxy and glass various pieces first. I also have my keel built. Reason is , I won't have much space once the hull gets pieced together. But I've also liked working on smaller chunks before starting on the boat itself. Helps get my head back in to working with epoxy, glass, etc. By the time I start having to crawl around in the boat doing fillets, some muscle memory might be helpful.

Far as electronics, I don't think anything is required except nav lights. Personally, right now I'm thinking I'll have a bilge, cabin lights, cabin fan, and plugs for device charging. I'm planning on an electric motor and would likely have available charging for it too. I'm kicking around a solar panel but I'm not sure I need it. I don't foresee long trips far away from my base. Nonetheless, I'm trying REALLY hard not to overengineer and load the boat up with a bunch of stuff I'll hardly ever use.

Biggest piece of advice I could give is to splurge on tools if you need them. I've never had more than the basics and now can't imagine doing this without things like a table saw, band saw, drill press, compound miter, etc. I'm simply nowhere skilled enough to get away with just a circle saw.

Have fun!

Martin
http://sisterspocketship.com
* Jimmy Skiff II
* amateur for sure (builder/sailor)
* impossible to insult my intelligence
Creekboater

Postby BillR on Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:54 am

Creekboater wrote:...
Biggest piece of advice I could give is to splurge on tools if you need them. I've never had more than the basics and now can't imagine doing this without things like a table saw, band saw, drill press, compound miter, etc. I'm simply nowhere skilled enough to get away with just a circle saw.

Have fun!

Martin

Marin,

This made me laugh because it is the same advice I give new airplane builders. I have a number of wood working tools already (14 bandsaw, drill press, bench sander, router, router table, table saw, oxy acetylene welding rig, etc. Oh, wait, this is a wood boat. If I get frustrated, I can light it on fire with the torch, I found it works great for lighting the firepit and warming coffee.); however, a planer would be nice. For that, I may hit up my neighbor who has an amazing woodshop!
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby Creekboater on Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:07 pm

The next tool i would buy would be a planer for sure.

Jealous of the plane. I thought about that once but too big for me. Also, haven't been current for years.

You'll have pocketship done in no time!
http://sisterspocketship.com
* Jimmy Skiff II
* amateur for sure (builder/sailor)
* impossible to insult my intelligence
Creekboater

Postby BillR on Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:40 pm

Creekboater wrote:The next tool i would buy would be a planer for sure. ...

Bench or hand planer? I saw a good corded handheld planer for $40 last night when I was researching.

I'm a big fan of FB Marketplace. Three years ago I bought a really good mid-60's Rockwell/Delta 14" bandsaw. I'm a huge fan of its quality and am looking for one of their planers.

Creekboater wrote:Jealous of the plane. I thought about that once but too big for me. Also, haven't been current for years.

You'll have pocketship done in no time!

No reason to be jealous. The plane took a long time to build and really wasn't that difficult, just a lot of, "nothing difficult"! After you pound 15,000+ rivets, you become pretty good at it. If you're close to Greenville, SC, let me know and we can go for a ride.

I am looking forward to getting started on what I suspect will be christened the "Hurl Maker III".
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby slash2 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:18 am

Ok I’ll bite. I assume the plane is Hurl Maker I or II. So what’s the third?
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum