New member ..

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

New member ..

Postby tattoo on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:36 am

I purchased the PocketShip kit about a month ago after selling a 17' Wittholz designed catboat. Its 250 sq ft sail was too much for these 76 year old hands. PocketShip will be my 7th boat building project. The 1st was an 11' 1" sailing dinghy from plans published in Popular Boating that I finished in 1963. Next was a Sail Fish (kit by Alcort) in about 1968. By that time Alcort had stopped making the kits, but I found one in a lumber yard loft that the owner had had for about 5 years. It let me have it for his cost (about $250). We still have that one in the family. Next was a DN ice boat. Then in 2002/2003 I built a garage so that I could have a shop to build a 15' cedar strip canoe. Next was a Penobscot 14 designed by Arch Davis. After that (in 2007) I purchased the cat boat and built a 7' 7" dinghy as the tender for the cat boat. It will be a tender for PocketShip.

I think John Harris' PocketShip design very well meets the needs of a solo sailer who must trail his boat to launch sites. I'm interested in knowing how many active builders have bought the plans or kit. Maybe the exact info is propriatory, but I seem to remember John telling me last Spring that he had sold about a dozen kits. Does anyone know of any actual launchings other than John's prototype?
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: New member ..

Postby ahamm on Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:17 pm

My "box of Wood" ships on 9/22 the epoxy is on the work bench and I'm already preping the nose piece. Oh ! and i've collected about 200 lbs of wheel weights.
ahamm

Re: New member ..

Postby decurtis on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:01 am

I've been building my Pocketship from plans since March. One more coat of paint on the hull and the boat will be ready to flip back upright. I am still optimistic that I can launch sometime in October.
decurtis

Return to PocketShip Forum