Keel nose block shape

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Keel nose block shape

Postby slash2 on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:59 am

Now that the boat is flipped I get my first real look at the bottom. It seems that the transition (or lack thereof) of the keel nose from the leading edge to the keel bottom should be rounded off substantially. I would think that the current design would want to make the nose dig in rather than ride over things. I see several posts about damage to the nose and wonder if having a gentle curve there would help. It should also make rolling the keel up on a trailer easier. Maybe there’s a good reason for the shape, and if there is, I’d like to be enlightened before I make the mod.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Re: Keel nose block shape

Postby BillR on Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:14 pm

Steve,

You can make a more bump resistant shape out of styrofoam, epoxy it in place and cover it with four layers of fiberglass cloth. That should be resistant to rocks, or whatever. You can always use wood in place of styrofoam.
Apparently I'm a boat builder. I will have to wait to find out if I'm a sailor.
Greenville, SC
BillR

Postby slash2 on Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:51 pm

Here’s what I ended up doing:

BDCD34BA-BD34-4A60-B7AD-EC94453171BD.jpeg
Alternate nose block
BDCD34BA-BD34-4A60-B7AD-EC94453171BD.jpeg (81.41 KiB) Viewed 2427 times

I tapered the noseblock then steam bent a piece of 5/8” white oak to protect the soft wood. It ends at the front of the centerboard trunk. Basically a wormshoe. Another straight piece goes from the back of the centerboard trunk to the stern. I’ll probably Fiberglass the keel without these pieces and then screw and seal the oak on top. I can then replace them if needed.
The added benefit is that it raises the centerboard area off the trailer carpet to promote air drying.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby Bflat on Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:48 am

Here's what I did (years ago). Like Slash, I added a keel shoe fore and aft of the CB slot. I made it out of Iroko and glassed it in as an "add on" after first glassing the keel without the shoe. To fortify the nose block area I added much extra glass, building up the front edge as well as the area where it meets the hull. There's at least 1/2" of glass on the front. I figure that the added weight is right where it's needed.

Bob
P1060069.jpeg
P1060069.jpeg (135.12 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Attachments
P1060063.jpeg
P1060063.jpeg (184.72 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Last edited by Bflat on Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bflat

Postby slash2 on Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:21 pm

I wanted to use Ipe but it refused to steam bend. The white oak should do ok. Your Iroko should be very long lasting.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Return to PocketShip Forum