Sleep cancelled + Question about preparation list

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sleep cancelled + Question about preparation list

Postby linseyt on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:41 pm

HURRAH! My plans have arrived - and financially exciting, Customs and Excise didn't tax me!!! ;)

I am a Uni lecturer, in the UK, who is currently inducting 200 new Business Students - so absolutely shattered, and in need of a treat at the weekend - but they have arrived already! So I am being ultra good - leaving the roll of actual plans in the box and ... just ... going to read through the manual tonight! (was planning to finish the new Dan Brown, but it is really too scary to read late at night anyway! :shock: )

I do not currently have an exit 78" x 78" from which to extract a built PS, but I am planning on getting all the parts cut out and then worrying about that bit later! Have a few options up my sleeve, I hope!

So, can't promise any more news for a while, but I always read your posts and dream!
Last edited by linseyt on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linseyt

Re: Sleeping cancelled

Postby ahamm on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:46 pm

You can always find a place to build, I'm building mine in my living room and as far as the 78x78 hole --- i,ve got a saws all :mrgreen:
ahamm

Re: Sleeping cancelled

Postby linseyt on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:38 am

I have now had a good read through the manual - and certainly can see that there are pieces that I can start constructing without needing the full space! Having spent the day at my sailing club, talking to people about it, I now have to do it - which is, for me, always a good motivator. I have also got Mill Creek 13 plans that I want to build - I thought I might start with them, as I would rather make the major learning curve mistakes there!! So far have only built a Wastwater, as a supervised build at Fyneboats in the Lakes. A totally wonderful experience that had me addicted to boat-building - and boat builders - in a flash! Their own epoxy is wonderful stuff to work with too - I even bought some to protect an outdoor staircase at a holiday home - and transformed a cheap indoor loft stair run into a lovely durable piece!

I have many questions, but will read through the manual again before I ask too many! One that does arise, following on from reading the Mill Creek manual is ... Is it really ok to cut pieces and epoxy them, before use? I have read many books on boat building and some seem to advise it, others not - but in the case of the Mill Creek deck it says that it has to be applied with the underside epoxy wet, so that it will take the curve. Should I be worrying about that here too? or not at all? Also if it is a surface is going to be fibreglassed, can it be epoxied first, or is it pointless? Curious as much as anything!

If I manage to spend the winter preparing everything, then I think that I might be able to use a temporary structure during the summer to actually construct the boat, which has an exit 78" x 78". The living room idea would appeal, but I live on the side of a hill, so it would have to be carried down steps to the drive...

(btw I managed to finish Dan Brown's latest too, it is not a bad read either!)
linseyt

Re: Sleep cancelled + Question about preparation list

Postby linseyt on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:44 pm

I am about to try and compile a list of what I can do without currently having the space to build my PS. (I don't have the time either, to be honest!) It occurred to me that someone else may have already done this, and I would be very grateful if I could borrow and peruse such a list.

My idea is that I should be able to cut out the parts, epoxy those which need epoxying prior to construction, even fibreglass where appropriate, but not actually construct. As I read through the manual there were a number of such opportunities that will also result in quite a large stage being achieved - eg the rudder.

It seemed silly to start this activity from scratch, if someone is happy to share! Maybe you are all lucky enough to be more sensible than me and bought the plans with the whole construction location issue sorted!

In the alternative, may I post my list and ask for comments thereafter?

(Going to have to hurry up and get this week's lectures prepared first!)
linseyt

Postby SHyland83 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Cut out parts
Fiberglass hull side panels
Keel assembly
Centerboard
Rudder
rip cabin deck boards to size
Rip wooden cleats for deck support to size
build mast and spars

that should keep you busy for a while
SHyland83

Postby linseyt on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:21 am

Thank you! I have a few issues with length and weight there, but it is definitely a starting point.

Also it raises the same question that I asked in my second post - whether it is ok to epoxy a panel before assembly if it has to take a curve. Here you have suggested fibreglassing side panels before assembly, surely that makes them far too rigid to bend around the form of the boat?

I guess I was also thinking about a really detailed list so I could tick stages off. I shall start from what you have given me, thanks for the prompt :)
linseyt

Postby decurtis on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:33 am

Page 59 of the manual has the fiberglassing schedule.

Bottom panels - NO fiberglass either side ( myself and other builders can tell you that the bend at the bow is tough to stitch together)

Side and topsides panels - Fiberglass INSIDE faces

Good luck on your build, I have thoroughly enjoyed mine and cannot praise John's comprehensive manual enough.
decurtis

Postby linseyt on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:14 pm

Thank you. I have been enjoying your blog so much - it is very inspiring, although a daunting task to follow what you have achieved. The reflectiveness of your glosswork is magical, can't wait to see what it looks like on water. I also love your name choice. I have already decided what mine will be called!

Here in the UK they are talking about increasing the retirement age again - I need time to build this boat and enjoy it, don't the government understand?
linseyt

Postby decurtis on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:34 pm

It's amazing what kind of imperfections the flash on the camera manages to hide! But thanks for the compliments. I am also looking forward to having it on the water this weekend if everything goes as planned (including the weather).
decurtis

Return to PocketShip Forum