Centerboard pivot and pendant

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Centerboard pivot and pendant

Postby slash2 on Sat May 27, 2023 9:11 pm

I hope to be soon installing the centerboard. I bought a partially assembled Pocketship and it seems to be a full up kit- I have only missed a few minor pieces so far. I was looking for the centerboard pivot -I assume it’s a just a piece of 3/8” SS rod.I did find a 3/8” by 2” bolt with an acorn nut, but he chides using a bolt and nut, so I doubt that is it. Any guidance on what I’m looking for?

Also is the pendant for the centerboard supplied? I see some likely rope that might be used for it in the kit but I don’t want to cut something up to later discover it’s for something else. What color/diameter/type rope am I looking for?
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Re: Centerboard pivot and pendant

Postby dbeck on Sun May 28, 2023 2:32 am

Slash2,

we have used a bolt screw similar to the one shown here. The diameter of the bolt section just fits the inner diameter of the sheave. On both sides of the trunk we added washers. These were covered with a ring of butyltape on the side facing the trunk. When tightening the screw, the butyl seals up everything. I just tightened the nut softly to avoid squeezing the centerboard trunk and used some loctite securing/fastening liquid. We just a normal nut and cut the screw to appropriate length so it does not stick out of the nut.

I have no experience with the pendant so far. The inner diameter of our hole at the back of the centerboard trunk is 9mm. I assume our pendant will be 6mm diameter.

Dietrich
Last edited by dbeck on Sun May 28, 2023 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
dbeck

Postby slash2 on Sun May 28, 2023 8:40 am

Thanks Dietrich,

I think you are referring to the sheeve? I meant the actual pivot the centerboard swings on. I did go through all the parts again, but I don’t even see the pivot on the hardware list.

I did find the pendant line. It was hiding in plain sight.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby dbeck on Sun May 28, 2023 9:57 am

Steve,

ohps, yes I was referring to the sheeve, Sorry for the confusion.

Dietrich
dbeck

Return to PocketShip Forum