Mainsheet ratchet block fastenings

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Mainsheet ratchet block fastenings

Postby SMHolmans on Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:55 am

Hi all.
My mainsheet ratchet block was supplied with machine screws and nuts for through hull attachment, which clearly won't work because it sits on top of the centreboard case.
What type of fastenings did you guys use, please?
Thanks!
SMHolmans

Re: Mainsheet ratchet block fastenings

Postby afairaizl on Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:21 pm

I think it was 2.5" or 3" #10 stainless screws with the base rotated so that two screws on each side straddled the centerboard case and avoided hitting the centerboard lifting line. I verified depth before putting the deck on but cant remember exactly. (one side of the square created by the screw heads parallel with the footwell wall)
Thanks,

Drew - Hampton, NH, USA
PocketShip 'Dreams Won't Wait'
Build Started: Oct 2021
Boat Launched: May 5th, 2023
Build Blog - https://www.dreamswontwait.com
Photo dump = https://photos.app.goo.gl/dS2tViRpgq4YZH8o6
afairaizl

Postby SMHolmans on Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:31 pm

Thanks. That’s really helpful. I thought that would be the solution. Thanks again!
Steve
SMHolmans

Postby Pasi in Finland on Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:33 pm

A builder I know has used the machine screws and nuts. He was able to hold the nut through the centerbord inspection port with a helper turning the bolt from ouside.

Pasi
Pasi in Finland

Postby SMHolmans on Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:34 pm

Thanks Pasi.
I had a close look at things today and I have decided to make a support pad for the block which I will bolt through the deck. I did consider attempting to use the machine screws through the inspection port but thought it was less than ideal!
I also discovered in the last couple of days that the through-hull fastening for the ventilators don't work. The ventilators are designed to be screwed to the deck, which won't work in this case, so I will need to make gaskets.
There is never any shortage of work on this build!
SMHolmans

Postby Tom G on Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:04 am

I put my main sheet block on a pad to help stay clear of CB opening. I switched to a swivel with a cam cleat. I really like not having to continually hold the main sheet.
Attachments
main sheet block.jpg
main sheet block.jpg (52.35 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
Tom G

Postby [email protected] on Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:04 pm

Tom G wrote:I put my main sheet block on a pad to help stay clear of CB opening. I switched to a swivel with a cam cleat. I really like not having to continually hold the main sheet.

Exactly which Harken parts did you use for this? Are they the #144 cam base and the #2670 ratchet block? My boat currently has the stock setup: the 2670 ratchet block and the 461 swivel base.
Always holding the mainsheet is getting tiresome, but I am wondering if I can re-use my current block with the new swivel cam base.

Thanks,
Doug
[email protected]

Postby Tom G on Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:54 am

The big ratchet that came with the boat is too large for this swivel base. (also way to big in my opinion)

I used a Harken 57mm carbo swivel block (Har 2600) It is not ratcheting but works ok. They make a ratchet version which would be nice but not essential. The base came off my old Lightning so don't know for sure. Looking at their catalog I would guess it is similar to the Standard Low Profile Cam swivel Base HAR #205. The specs say it should be used with a 57mm so that is probably it. The height of the block from the swivel needs to lead into the cam cleat at correct height. I think other swivel blocks could work if this height is correct.
Tom G

Postby [email protected] on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:36 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I see how the regular vs low-profile swivels are meant for different size blocks.

One other question: How did you mount it in place? It looks like the swivel's 4 mounting screws also hold it together,
so you couldn't replace them with wood screws. Did you use a mounting plate that had tapped holes for the swivel's screws,
and additional holes for wood screws to mount it to the boat?

Good thing you had one lying around: The street price for the #144 is $172...
[email protected]

Postby Tom G on Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:02 pm

I epoxied a block onto the top of the bridge deck. Think 1/2 inch okume to get me more thickness. This also raised the block a bit so it is easier to hold on with out knuckles hitting deck. I just screwed it down with FH stainless #10 screws. I oriented the screws so they would miss the CB opening. It is very solid.
Tom G

Return to PocketShip Forum