time required for build

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

time required for build

Postby dbeck on Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:41 am

Hello PS builders,

the status of our build is is that we started work on the rubrails and are looking forward to the first flip. We estimate about 750 hours build time in the workshop so far; just counting two-hour-units. We deviated slightly from the manual to reduce the effort in building our PocketShip here ad there. As an example, we do things on the workbench as much as possible (like glassing/epoxying the cabin rear wall) or avoid sanding fillets with the alcohol-finger-trick immediately followed by glassing. Some extra effort might be caused by organizing things in the workshop (it is pretty small), but I doubt this adds more than 10% to the time budget. The 'major' modification are an additional floor for storing things on the port side in between bulkheads 1+2, a watertight compartment below the footwell in between the lazarettes, a wider footwell following this idea and a modification to the foredeck drainage (we will be using mushroom vents). I don't think the modifications have added more than ~30 hours.

Ok, the cabin interior is already painted/varnished, rudder and tiller are done and the internal ballast is ready to be placed. I imagine we will make it in about 1000 hours, which is a significant difference to the 600 hours claimed by CLC. We are building from kit and have built an eastport pram before. Maybe we work too accurately?

If there is anyone who has an estimate on the approximate build time, I would be curious ...

Cheers,

Dietrich
dbeck

Re: time required for build

Postby slash2 on Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:37 pm

I seem to recall at least one blog had a detailed log of hours spent, but i can’t remember which one. I haven’t tracked my hours but 1000 hours seems reasonable. The CLC build time assumes, I imagine, an experienced builder in a well equipped shop with good space and regular hours.

I probably spend a good amount of time going between my barn (where boat is) and basement (where major tools are). Also I frequently have only a few hours available at a time so set and up and take down become significant. Sanding is a significant time sink and experience at laying epoxy plays an important role there. I’ve also spent extra time on customizations, but I’ve particularly enjoyed that time as I’m learning and trying to be creative.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby Bflat on Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:56 pm

This topic reminds me of an interview I heard with John Harris. Although to do with CLC's main product (kayak kits) it's interesting. He was asked how long it generally takes to build his kits. He said that the professional builder and the amateur builder might both take 60 hours, the real difference is HOW the time is portioned. The amateur will generally spend 40 hours building and 20 hours finishing. The professional will spend 20 hours building and 40 hours finishing.

Bob
Bflat

Postby afairaizl on Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:43 pm

My build time was calculated at ~850 hours. The first PS build by a professional was about 525 hours and that was to finish the hull. From my marine survey completed before successfully achieving insurance coverage - "As reported on the manufacturers website, Geoff Kerr of Two Daughters Boatworks built the first hull January 2008 with an estimated 525 hours invested. The average shipwright (as reported 5/7/23 by PayScale, the largest repository of salary data in the world) the average Shipwright earns $26.00 per hour. Finish work, electrical, rigging, etc all add time. I believe I previously estimated about 20-25% of the time spent was doing painting, varnishing, electrical design, layout, wiring, crimping, testing, and configuration. I keep adding extra hours here and there with minor changes and a few repairs. Could I cut the time down next time, yes, most definitely. The question is really - in the end, did you end up with what you wanted? I can quickly point out every single flaw at a glance and know what needs work still. Am I going to make things better? Most definitely, but I'm going to make it a part of the ongoing maintenance and upkeep.
Thanks,

Drew - Hampton, NH, USA
PocketShip 'Dreams Won't Wait'
Build Started: Oct 2021
Boat Launched: May 5th, 2023
Build Blog - https://www.dreamswontwait.com
Photo dump = https://photos.app.goo.gl/dS2tViRpgq4YZH8o6
afairaizl

Return to PocketShip Forum