Seat cushioning

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Seat cushioning

Postby slash2 on Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:43 am

I went out yesterday and had some nice wind- probably 10 knots. I was heeled over about as far as I cared to be (not quite to the rubrail), but I found myself sliding on the seat (it’s just the painted surface right now). Of course I can brace myself with my feet on the opposite footwell edge, but I think it would be good to have something ‘stickier’ and also more comfortable. The obvious solution would be to have cushions but wouldn’t they just slide around too unless they are fastened down somehow. Anyway I’m wondering about using SeaDek. I have the CLC kit on the footwell, cabin top, and bow area and like it. I also have the kit on my Passagemaker and I sit on that and find it reasonably comfortable. SeaDek makes a 6mm sheet (CLC kits are 5). Certainly not as cushy as a real cushion, but very stable and low maintenance. And you don’t have to stow it or worry about keeping it clean and dry. Has anyone tried this or have an opinion on it? Or what’s the experience with regular cushions? Or are there other ideas?
They are having a 25% off sale now, so I’m motivated to try it. I guess I could always add a thin cushion on top of that and it probably would not slide as easily.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Re: Seat cushioning

Postby [email protected] on Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:00 pm

CLC has a pattern for SeaDek seat cushions, and could make you a set. But two years ago, I was quoted almost $400 for those pieces (SeaDek is not cheap).

image.jpg
image.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 7509 times

I have been OK sitting on the plain painted seats, but it would be nice to have something to keep the paint from getting all scratched up...

Doug
[email protected]

Postby slash2 on Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:06 pm

I had not seen the seat parts - interesting.

A 40” x 80” sheet of 6mm is on sale for $150 until tomorrow; which is pretty good. That’s enough to do the seats pretty much as shown in your drawing.

I actually have been a pleasantly surprised that the plain seats are rather comfortable. I do appreciate the high seatbacks. When I sit on a cushion I feel too high. That’s why I’m thinking a bit of cushion may be sufficient.

I am enjoying the heck out of this boat. It has the best qualities of a big boat with the fun of a dinghy. It will be sad when it gets too cold.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby [email protected] on Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:26 pm

slash2 wrote:A 40” x 80” sheet of 6mm is on sale for $150 until tomorrow; which is pretty good. That’s enough to do the seats pretty much as shown in your drawing.

I measured against the plans, and I don't think it is possible to cut those particular seat pieces from one 40x80 sheet, even if you leave out the little wedge bits
behind the lazarette hatches. It might work if each side had a 21" x 52" piece, with a third 10" x 22" piece in the center between the mainsheet and the companionway.

I think if you tried to sew traditional fabric-covered foam cushions using high-quality materials, you would pay a lot more than $150 for the materials...

Doug
[email protected]

Postby slash2 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:41 am

I did a 'paper doll' fit and you are right, it doesn't quite fit:
SeaDekSeatLayout.jpg
SeaDek Seat Layout
SeaDekSeatLayout.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 7467 times

However it's pretty dang close. The only overhang is at the upper right - I drew a pencil line to show it. At full scale it's only about an inch, so if it was split between the two pieces, it's only a half inch each. I think I can make it work. Of course I need to check with full size patterns on the boat, which, unfortunately, is not home.
Another thing I noticed is that, on the SeaDek pattern, the lazzarettes seem shorter than on the plans I have, which would end up making the side pieces a bit shorter. It doesn't really change anything, but its another reason to test on the boat with full size patterns.
Also, the way I have it laid out, there are two identical leftover pieces, which could be used as seat back cushions. Need to think about that one.

I'll certainly update if I go through with it.

One other thing I realized when I went out is that lazy jacks would be really handy, especially when solo. I read up on how others did it, but of course, I had to do try something different. I ordered parts. I'll update in one of the lazy jack threads if I come up with something useful.

I guess there is no end in spending money on a 'completed' boat!
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Postby Tom G on Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:48 am

cockpit cushion.jpg
cockpit cushion.jpg (63.06 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
I made seat cushions with Sunbrella marine canvas and added a nonskid bottom with some stuff called "Super Grip nonskid cushion underlining" I got this material from Sailrite but it is also available from other outdoor/upholstery fabric stores .
They do not slip at all even when boat is healed. Mine are 2 inches thick. If I were to do them again I would make them 3 inches thick to improve forward visibility. I am
6' 2" but find the cabin especially the large sliding hood is pretty tall relative to the height of cockpit seat and the cushion helps see over it. If you make them curved to match the seat back this means they also fit the hull shape inside on floor boards so they are perfect to sleep on as well. They have been a great addition for cruising.
Tom G

Postby dbeck on Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:57 am

Steve,

after some thinking we decided to have some non-skid and more knee-friendly cockpit. We ordered a 40"x80" sheet of seadek - stormgray, embossed, 8mm - and cut the parts by ourselves. The figure below shows a dry fit of the pieces and the lazarette hatches. The inset on the lower left shows how we arranged the patterns. The piece on the starboard hatch is still unused. As a downside, we had to skip the 'ears' behind the hatches and the aftmost 4 inches of the footwell are not covered.

You mentioned that 40" of material is not sufficient to cut pieces next to the footwell. However, this is not an issue for us as we made the footwell about two inches wider (see here and here).

The edges next to the hatches will be trimmed after the final installation of the hatches; same for the cut-out around the still missing main sheet block.

Dietrich

ps_seadek.JPG
ps_seadek.JPG (173.71 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
dbeck

Postby slash2 on Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:08 am

Great! That’s about what I’m thinking of doing. I think I bought the same stuff.
Steve Sawtelle
slash2

Return to PocketShip Forum