Dave's Pocketship launched today

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Dave's Pocketship launched today

Postby decurtis on Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Just a quick note that my pocketship "So True" was officially christened today and had a quick sea trial. My blog has all the details of getting her on to the trailer and doing the final rigging. My next post in a day or so will have photos and description of "So True" actually floating in the water (once I sort out all the photos).
decurtis

Re: Dave's Pocketship launched today

Postby mtsailor on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:46 am

Congratulations, Dave. It is a beauty! Still plugging away here, but next Summer, for sure. The brass portlight finishing rings look great. I just got a set for my ABI portlights. It was a long/hard search. Sail good. Jer (aka mtsailor) http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus
mtsailor

Postby decurtis on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Yeh, I got lucky on the portlights. Reasonable priced ones are hard to find now since ABI went out of business during the economic downturn.
decurtis

Postby ahamm on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:48 pm

A big congrats, Dave!! She's a beauty can't wait for the photos. Its a shame you got to bag it up for the winter. Remember its on a trailer just 1300 miles down I35 and you hit Lake Texoma ( Ice free year round ) :mrgreen:
ahamm

Postby linseyt on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:30 am

I am so pleased for you that you managed to get her on the water before Spring! And WOW, what a beautiful boat, and lovely place to sail, once the weather gets better. Thank you so much for sharing all your adventures with us. I really do love the internet when it enables me to enjoy the adventures of a once total stranger, who has a fantastic plan and executes it so beautifully.

Now I guess you have to start looking for the plans to build a big boat for your son :P
linseyt

Postby jeff on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Dave, beautiful work and a great chronicle of the build and launch. Congratulations....Jeff
jeff

Postby decurtis on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks, if I haven't said it before for all the compliments. I think a lot has to do with John C. Harris' beautiful design.

Lake Winnipeg is the world's 10th largest lake so there will be no shortage of places to sail to. The only problem is it is a shallow lake so conditions can change almost instantly. I'm talking smooth water skiing conditions and 5 minutes later 4 foot waves making it a rough ride to get back to the dock.

My son is actually buying a 32 foot Kendall or Westsail so I am sure there will be no shortage of boat repair/maintenance projects to help him with when we visit this winter.

I am not planning to be a stranger to this forum as I am anxious to see how other people customize and finish their Pocketships and want to share the tiny bit of expertise I gained on my build if it is useful to others.
decurtis

Postby drunkensailor on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Dave,
I really like your pocketship, the color scheme looks great! I was just wondering if the deadlights you used would fit in the precut holes of the kit or if you customized the diameter of the opening?
Thanks,
Walter
P.S. I hope you don't mind if I steal some of your ideas.
drunkensailor

Postby decurtis on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 pm

I wasn't working from a kit but the openings were customized and slightly smaller than the ones on the plans. If I remember correctly I think on the kit the openings are just scored and not cut through so you can probably adjust the size.
You are welcome to steal whatever ideas you want; most of them are probably not original any ways :-)
decurtis

Return to PocketShip Forum