Trailering Height

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Trailering Height

Postby Donm1753 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:40 pm

John,

What is the maximum height of your Pocketship on the trailer?
Donm1753

Re: Trailering Height

Postby John C. Harris on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 pm

On the trailer, with the mast folded down (obviously), I'm at 102" (2591mm) tall. Pretty high, thus the discussion in the manual of eliminating the tabernacle for garage door clearance.

Without the tabernacle, the highest point is 80" (2032mm), exactly the height of an average door.
Attachments
PS Trailer - CLC.jpg
PS Trailer - CLC.jpg (360.17 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
John C. Harris

Re: Trailering Height

Postby CJBROWN on Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:08 pm

If I built this boat I would want to store it in my garage. And yes, the door is right at about 80". According to the drawings the height to the companionway slide is right at about 60". I would think the keel could ride a foot off the tarmac, so I have plenty of clearance without the tabernacle and boom gallows.

Can the gallows be made to be removable?
If the tabernacle is not used what is done in its place?

Is there a way to get a lower clearance and then set the boat up for over the road trailering once it's pulled out of the garage? Seems the tabernacle makes mast stepping really easy and in combination with the gallows it supports the spars for trailering. For storing in the garage I would think the spars could be slid in under the trailer. What the approximate weight of the spars? I would think if the were fashioned from spruce they would be pretty light. I just know spars can be unwieldy to handle due to their length.

Also, can the bow sprit be made removable to shorten the trailer length? I imagine an extending tongue piece on the trailer would be necessary to get the trailer deep enough to float the boat off.

The is the only thread I found regarding this issue so I was hoping to get some more details.
Chris Brown
OC, CA
Boats Built: Pete Culler Skiff, pram
Boats Owned: John Alden 'Rowena' the Mari-Mari, 36LOD Yawl, built 1958
Edwin Monk 'Aurora', 26LOD Cutter, built 1972
And a bunch of fiberglass sailboats and motor boats
CJBROWN

Return to PocketShip Forum