more ? on the lead ballast

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

more ? on the lead ballast

Postby drunkensailor on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 pm

I've read some of the other postings and the manual on P.281. The manual says that as much as 224lbs. of internal ballast can be added to the bilge inside of the trunk. I was wondering if any of the other space below the floorboards could be used for ballast. Also, when packing the boat for an extended trip where is the best place to put the supplies to maintain stability?
drunkensailor

Re: more ? on the lead ballast

Postby decurtis on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:45 pm

I would have liked to have put in the maximum 240 lbs of ballast but I was using loose lead tire weights in small bags and could just barely cram in the minimum 160 lbs in the recommended compartment. I would also like to know if some additional ballast could be placed in the other accessible floorboard/bilge section.
decurtis

Postby ahamm on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm

I Am no expert on boat trim but the area set aside for ballast can hold far more than 200 lbs and if you look at the plans that area is very close to the center of mass. I'm sure that having to much weight aft or forward can effect handling. As far as packing supplies - heavy stuff center - light stuff forward or aft - leave room for you and leave the 40 quart cooler ashore. Don't worry things will start falling in place once you get on the water and start fooling around :D
ahamm

Postby Shudoman on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:47 am

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an easy way to secure the ballast in these compartments. I read somewhere that the compartments will contain the ballast to 100 of heel before opening. I wouldn't want the ballast sitting on the cabin roof if turned turtle (that's not being very optimistic is it?) since it would make righting much more difficult. I plan on putting my ballast in bags and was trying to conceive of a way to attach the bags to the inside of the compartment so they don't have the possibility of falling out.

I didn't really think of this until I was racing with a local club a few weekends ago and one of the boats that had a weighted centerboard forgot to lower it after a downwind run and immediately turned turtle after coming about. Since the board was stuck in the cabin the three (heavyweight) crew couldn't right the 20' foot boat it before is sunk completely. It really messed up their day. I could see a similar event if that 200lbs of weight fell to the cabin roof.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill
Shudoman

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:25 pm

Well, you couldn't sink PocketShip if you swamped. There's 260 pounds of lead but something like 600 pounds of foam buoyancy, plus all the wood. Your gear would get a wetting, but otherwise you could proceed on your way.
John C. Harris

Postby jeff on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

The removable floor board sections over the bilges can be secured in place with over the counter hatch lift hardware. This hardware will keep the floor panels in place even if you turn turtle. Jeff
jeff

Return to PocketShip Forum