Spinnaker...

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Spinnaker...

Postby Wayne G on Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks Bflat. Leading the tack and clew to the opposite side can be done from the cockpit, but I don't know how to swap the head without climbing out to the bow to lead the halyard around the outside of the jib. I wonder how others have approached this?
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby Wayne G on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Looks like I was overthinking the whole spinnaker halyard rigging issue.
I have a snap hook on the end of the halyard and to to get it to the other side of the jib/stay I just throw the halyard out past the bow in a kind of arc where it comes back to me on the other side of the stay.
My setup is to have snap hooks on the halyard, clew sheet and both ends of the tack outhaul which runs through a block on the bowsprit. This allows the tack to be hauled to either side of the bowsprit. Once the sail is doused I remove all 3 snap hooks, throw the halyard around the stay and reconnect the 3 lines to the sail on the opposite side.
Today, with the boat on the trailer and while standing in the companionway I raised and doused the sail 4 times and it all worked well although It will take a bit more practice to be able to do all of this quickly and confidently.
Thinking it's also time to construct a tiller extension to be able to make steering adjustments while tussling with all those lines :shock:
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby John C. Harris on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:42 am

There's a reasonably coherent video tutorial of setting, jibing, and dousing PocketShip's spinnaker in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXQ4HJihr4

Starts at 5:58
John C. Harris

Postby Wayne G on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:26 pm

I regularly dip into this excellent video for tips or refreshers on rigging and sailing. I especially like "the most dangerous spinnaker gybe ever" but sadly am resigned to the knowledge that climbing out of the cockpit on a boat under sail while solo is too rich for my blood.

In the spinnaker section at 8:00 John states that when changing gybes he usually just douses the sail on one gybe and then resets the sail on the other gybe. The video does not show how this is done and it's in this manouver that I wondered how the halyard is transferred to the other side of the jib stay.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby Bflat on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:30 pm

You tossing the halyard around the forestay seems pretty efficient, actually, when it works, but another way would be to attach the sheets and halyard together and pull the whole works (minus the spinnaker. of course) around with what will become the new sheet. The halyard should keep it all from going under the boat or bowsprit. This assumes you would be using two sheets as opposed to one. In John's video he's doing it with only one sheet - that's why he has to go out on the foredeck to pass that single sheet to the other side before gybing.

With two sheets, one on port and one on starboard the asymmetric spinnaker is kind of like a great big jib.
Bflat

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum