epoxy pumps

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

epoxy pumps

Postby SHyland83 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:52 am

The pumps that come with the kit are not nearly long enough to reach the bottom of the 5 gallon containers of epoxy. Is there a trick to using these? Do the larger pumps come with longer straws or do they just dispense more epoxy? I tried using the cap on the side of the container with the container laying down, but then it pumps on top of itself and you can't fit the cup underneath. thanks, and i hope that made sense.
SHyland83

Re: epoxy pumps

Postby jeff on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:39 pm

Made perfect sence to me, I ran into the same problem. I used the pump that came with the kit and left the 5 gal jug standing upright until it wouldn't suck anymore, then I layed it on its side and used flat throwaway bread tins that will fit under the pump. Seems to work fine.
jeff

Postby ThomD on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:38 pm

I've had pumps that were a poor fit for the bottles they were supplied with. Normally one can get a section of tubing at the hardware store that will get the pumps sucking down to the bottom.
ThomD

Postby Jollyroger on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:29 am

I put my 5 gal. jug on its side, shortened the pick-up tube on the pump and install it in what was the cap on the side of the jug, use this for small batches. For large batches I put one of the valves in what was the top cap and use measuring cups. Have been using this with no problems.
ROGER
Jollyroger

Postby Hendrik on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:54 pm

To all pump lovers:
I have given up on epoxy pumps after building 3 Kayaks and one small sailboat, they keep breaking on me.
So now, I measure the epoxy by weight on a small scale.
The procedure is:
1. place the mixing pot on the scale and zero the scale.
2. add hardener.
3. add resin at a ratio of 44g hardener : 100g Resin (Ratio is for Botecote an Australian Brand)

I Keep the scale in a plastic snap-lok bag to keep it clean.
Regards,
Hendrik
Hendrik

Postby tattoo on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:40 am

Re the 5 gal pump problem. Solved by using a left over 1 gal resin container and a 1/2 gal fixer container. The 5 gal containers are turned on their side with on-off valves installed at the bottom. There is a cap at the top that is loosened (small hole punched in seal) to allow ingress of air while the lower valve is used to fill the smaller containers. The valves have a vent hole to allow drainage of its spigot when the valve is closed. It works pretty well. The 1 gal and 1/2 gal containers easily accomodate the pump's plumbing.

Pump problem: At lower temps the resin pump recovers slowly and may not totally reset (at the top of its stroke) by the time you have pumped the fixer into your mix. If you are too fast going to the resin for the next stroke, then you will not get a full squirt of resin. Just something to watch for.
tattoo

Postby mtsailor on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:45 am

I had this discussion with the MAS rep at the Mystic Boat Show. He said "simple, lay the epoxy jug on it's side, with the spigot down, put the pump in the small hole, behind the large hole. The pump tube will then reach near the bottom of the jug". See the last photo in my gallery, PocketShip Project. http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus Jer, mtsailor
mtsailor

Postby SHyland83 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:29 pm

I tried that but there's no room to fit a cup under the pump.
SHyland83

Postby mtsailor on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:25 am

I use paper cereal bowls for mixing and they fit under the pump. The glossy paper bowls are best as the plain paper ones absorb the epoxy. Throw the bowl away after use. Jer mtsailor
mtsailor

Postby decurtis on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:08 am

I stopped using the pumps completely after discovering I was going through hardener faster than resin. I had to order another gallon of hardener to make up the difference. I now measure by volume in a 16 ounce graduated mixing cup.
decurtis

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum