Rowing

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Rowing

Postby Islander on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:20 am

New to the forum...just ordered my plans and sails....does anyone know how it rows and best length for oars?

Joel
Islander

Re: Rowing

Postby Islander on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 pm

Apparently not.

Joel
Islander

Postby ahamm on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Sorry, I thought peeps would jump all over this post.
It was suggested that a Yuloh (Sculling oar) would make a good propulsion system.
The plans even have a oarlock located on the transom skirt for this purpose.
Duckworks has a device that works like one.
I've never used one, but it might be fun.
ahamm

Postby Islander on Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks Ahamm,thought that there was no one out there.There is an interesting race up here with wooden boats....some days you sail and other days you row. Thought this boat might be perfect. My plans should be here soon so if all goes well and time permits, I will be able to try her out in next summers race. Just need to figure out this rowing thing.

Joel
Islander

Postby ahamm on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Soo .... it's not that your too cheap to spring for a outboard :mrgreen:
but that you need an edge when you lose the wind while racing. The sculling oar may be the way to go.
Efficient, must be or the chinese wouldn't be using them for the past couple of thousand years.
The down side is a Yuloh is long, but the "Scullmatix" from duckworks may be the trick in that it is a two peice oar.
ahamm

Postby Islander on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Just the name "Scullmatic" is enough to make me look for something else. Actually I watched the video and it looked like it would be great for moving around the harbour on a slack tide .....but for covering any great distance , I still think oars are the only way .... and of course a 4hp outboard is not out of the question.

Joel
Islander

Postby peasncarrots on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Actually, sculling is very easy to learn and for the Pocketship would be one of the best methods for propulsion. As far as a 4 Hp outboard, I think that is over kill. I use a 2.5 Hp 2 stroke with my Compac 16 and it will just about put it at hull speed.

I had in mind to change over to an electric inboard but the cost of that vs. a gal of gas has prevented me from parting with my dollars.
peasncarrots

Postby Keith on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm currently thinking that I won't have an outboard motor onboard, and I'm planning on towing along an EastPort Pram (more than half the length of the PocketShip!) and will keep a pair of oars in the Pram, so that takes care of where to store them. Just in case the tow-line parts, I should keep at least a paddle onboard too. However, I'm curious. Has anyone actually rowed or sculled a PocketShip yet?
Keith

Return to PocketShip Forum