Gas Storage

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Gas Storage

Postby kimsails on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Hi. I am still studying the plans to figure out what I know and what I don't know. I definitely need a 2-hp outboard as I sail on Lake Erie and wherever I go I have to motor in and out of breakwalls too busy/narrow to sail and too far (for me) to row.

Anyway, my question is about gas storage. Carrying even a small gas container on the boat can result in fumes being carried throughout the lower levels of the boat. For several years I had a trailerable sailboat that was built with a gasoline storage locker sealed from the rest of the boat and vented aft. It opened directly onto the cockpit floor. Very safe.

So where are you planning to stow your gasoline container for your outboard kicker? Is there already a good spot in the current design or does it need to be figured out?

Thanks.

Kim
kimsails

Re: Gas Storage

Postby sean on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:44 am

I am at the same spot - looking over the plans to make totally sure this is the boat for me and thinking through where I would want to put stuff. And I also will need an outboard, as I plan to sail off the coast of S. California, where there are many times when the wind just dies for hours, and definitely would want one for safety if crossing shipping lanes.

For the gas container, I was thinking of placing it at the back end of the foot well. Not the most elegant perhaps. It could have a partial housing around it, or just hold in by a cord or built in flanges. Anyone know if this would interfere with leg room while sailing? On a similar note - the foot well seems much smaller on the pocketship than similar sized boats, I assume to give more berth room underneath. Has this been a problem for anyone with large feet (I wear size 11 shoes)?

On another note, anyone have experience with a 2hp on pocketship? Is it enough to get it the boat to near hull speed with 2+ people and gear? I was thinking of a 3.5hp, would that be overkill?

Thanks,
Sean
sean

Postby mtsailor on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi. The footwell in the PS cockpit is quite long and extends to the transom. Since you won't be sitting in the far rear of the cockpit, as it would be impossible to steer from there and anyone sitting there would the way of the tiller, there is penty of room to secure a small gas container. That's where my gas container will be kept. The two drain holes in the rear of the cockpit would allow any fumes to drain overboard. Good luck. Jer, mtsailor http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus
mtsailor

Postby aschilpp on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:22 am

Bear in mind everyone that there are storage lockers underneath the cockpit aft of the final bulkhead that is sealed off from the cabin. This is where the lazarette hatches access in the plans. I would imagine you could easily store your fuel in there and if you were concerned about venting drill a small hole in the transom into this space. The hole would be well above the waterline, in fact even higher than the cockpit footwell drains. And if you were concerned about running the fuel line through an open hatch you could always run the line through the seat and seal it off with marine sealant at the point of intrusion. This is more of less what I plan to do once I get around to installing an outboard. Although I plan to hold off b/c in MA once you have an outboard of any size the boat needs to be registered.

Again, just my two cents.
aschilpp

Postby ahamm on Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:56 pm

The aft bulkhead is part of the floation system it has access for storage thru the lazarettes they are sealed.
It would not be a good idea to poke holes in it :)
THe small amout of fuel need would be safer carried in the footwell, fuel leaking in the sealed bulkhead = BOMB
ahamm

Postby jeff on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm installing a small fuel tank in the Lazerett, Their are some great small tanks available with a hose that will vent the tank directly overboard. These tanks are for direct connection to a small outboard. Since the area below the footwell is filled with foam flotation the lazeretts are independent of each other. I don't think the boat will sink even if one lazerette fills with sea water but John may correct me on this. Even if you store a small portable tank in the Lazerett it should be vented which compromises it's watertight capabilities. I'm going for it.
jeff

Return to PocketShip Forum