Sailing qualities

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sailing qualities

Postby mike on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:13 am

Hi John,

I live in Hobart, Tasmania, Aus. and have been looking at a number if designs up to 18' catboat's, norfork island sharpies and the chebacco. I think this little boat is the best I've seen around. The question I have is how does this fair in conditions on average 15 - 20 knots this is in summer where the sea breeze kicks. This design suits my needs size and character.
mike

Re: Sailing qualities

Postby SHyland83 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 am

I can't answer your question because my pocketship is still mostly a pile of plywood, but have you watched the video on the website of the boat in action? I'm sure John will have more info for you, but if you haven't watched the video you should definitly give it a look.
SHyland83

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:54 pm

>>>>>>>The question I have is how does this fare in conditions on average 15 - 20 knots this is in summer where the sea breeze kicks. This design suits my needs size and character.>>>>>>>

It was a complicated design brief, and one of many attributes the boat had to have was the ability to manage in rough conditions. The filter was the ability to cross to the Bahamas from Miami on a good weather report. That's across the Gulf Stream. In the right hands, no problem.

In terms of waves, the boat is dry and safe. Frankly I think it's dryer than my 6000-pound Folkboat. Punches energetically through chop.

The boat has more sail area than my underwriters would prefer. It's overpowered starting at about 12 knots if you're lightly loaded. Reefed, 15-20 is absolutely no problem though you'd want the second reef option in the mainsail. I haven't studied it on the drawings, but a smaller jib wouldn't hurt if you can always count on 15-20 knots. If you don't have to make a lot of ground to windward, just rolling up the jib is an excellent first reef.

Someone was emailing with me about sail area the other day and I got curious about how PocketShip's Sail Area/Displacement Ratio compares to similar pocket cruisers:

PocketShip: 800lbs - 148sqft - SA/D=27.5 (Higher is faster)
West Wight Potter: 475lbs - 98sqft - SA/D=25.8
Montgomery 15: 750lbs - 122sqft - SA/D=23.6
ComPac 16: 1100lbs - 115sqft - SA/D=17.3

John C. Harris

Postby mike on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:08 am

Thanks John for that info looks like I've settled on the boat I'm going to build :)
mike

Return to PocketShip Forum