PocketShip Anchor Storage

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

PocketShip Anchor Storage

Postby Shudoman on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi,

Just wondering where the best place to store the anchor and rode. What's the best solution for the anchoring gear? Perhaps an anchor hanger under the bowsprit? Any thoughts?

Bill
Shudoman

Re: PocketShip Anchor Storage

Postby Bruno on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Hello

My opinion about storage rope and anchor

the pocket ship is for me a day boat for fun near the coast 5 miles around I think I put a small anchor and all the items for anchoring in one of the two trap in the cockpit near the transom

Sorry for my english I polish actually the boat !!
Bruno
Bruno

Postby cristagallis on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Hello,

I confirm
Bruno have a bad english
but it's a great performer for polish :lol:

GILLES D
cristagallis

Postby Shudoman on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:07 am

Bruno wrote:Hello

My opinion about storage rope and anchor

the pocket ship is for me a day boat for fun near the coast 5 miles around I think I put a small anchor and all the items for anchoring in one of the two trap in the cockpit near the transom

Sorry for my english I polish actually the boat !!
Bruno

Your english is better than my polish... it might also be better than my english!

Bill
Shudoman

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:13 am

For daysailing, when anchoring is rare, my anchor lives in the starboard lazarette. In really small boats it's often best to deploy and set the anchor from the cockpit, then shift the rode to the bow when you're ready.

For serious overnighting, days at a time, with lots of anchoring, an anchor and rode should live up in the anchor well in the bow. Gravity and the tall sides of the well are probably sufficient to keep the anchor there, though if you're worried about it falling out you could rig some bungie cords that could be cast off quickly. A second anchor---I never cruise without a spare/stern anchor---is in the lazarette.
John C. Harris

Postby Shudoman on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks John,

Sounds like sane advice. What size/type anchor and rode do you find satisfactory for the PocketShip?
Shudoman

Postby mark48 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:31 pm

Greetings to all PS sailors,

I am resurrecting this old thread to ask for details about where you store your anchor(s) on your PocketShip(s).

A few details:

(1) My Puffin is conventionally built with the exception that the aft lockers (below the hatches) have sealed floors (extending the sealed permanent flotation compartment in the aft bilge area to port and starboard) so those hatches are not as deep as in PS #1. As I was building Puffin, it seemed like a good idea (partly after peering down into the recesses of the aft hatches on PS#1). In retrospect, in doing so I sacrificed a deep storage locker ideally suited for bulky, ungainly items - like an anchor.

(2) I want to sail Puffin in the coastal waters of Maine where the ability to anchor securely and rapidly is at a premium.

If any of you have sweet systems for storing your anchor forward of the cabin, I'd love to see photos. How does that work in terms of maneuvering forward to deploy the anchor? Do you use a bridle such that the anchor rode draws on each forward cleat? Again, photos are appreciated. :-)

I know I can keep my anchor in a "tidy" basket in the foot-well aft below the tiller. Do any of you have experience with that arrangement? Once deployed and set from the cockpit, I could bring the rode forward so my bow is to the wind (but, again, using a bridle?).

Thanks very much for any and all advice.

All the best,
Mark
Puffin
Lebanon, NH
mark48

Postby [email protected] on Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:39 pm

Here is what I have done so far for anchoring:

I sewed together an anchor rope bag similar to this: https://www.anchor-caddie.com/collectio ... oat-n-tote
I also sewed up a little padded duffel bag to hold a collapsed Fortress FX7 anchor and several feet of chain.
So far it is been practical to keep these in the cabin. If I thought I might need to deploy the anchor in a hurry, I would probably assemble it ahead
of time and leave it in the lazarette or foredeck. One problem with keeping it on the foredeck is that it would be risky to leave it there when trailering: it
might dent up the finish, or even fall out.

Doug
[email protected]

Postby Sailing Surgeon on Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:59 pm

Anybody use the Mantus Dinghy anchor? I know that at 2.5 pounds it would be to light for winds over 15-20 - but curious for hanging a lunch hook, etc?
Sailing Surgeon

Postby dbeck on Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:53 am

Anybody use the Mantus Dinghy anchor?

There is a review about it in the small boat magazine. Sounds not bad, but the price ... Once our PS built, I'd rather recycle the old 5 kilogram folding grapnel of our inflatable dinghy. These folding anchors have a bad reputation, but with a few meters of added chain between anchor and line it will be good enough for lunch breaks and and at least serve as a backup.

Dietrich
dbeck

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum