PocketShip Aftermarket Modifications/Additions

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

PocketShip Aftermarket Modifications/Additions

Postby MSR on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:18 am

I thought it might be interesting to try to collect a list of the modifications and additions individual builders have made to their boats either during or after construction. As well as helping those of us still doing our research to get an idea of the boat's potential, it could also be a source of ideas for those beginning construction.

As, obviously, I haven't got anything to add, I'll kick off with a question: is anyone putting down a laid deck? All the pictures show a very minimalist white cockpit and interior which, to my eye, is just crying out for some lovingly laid deck planking!
MSR

Re: PocketShip Aftermarket Modifications/Additions

Postby Donm1753 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 pm

I have made two modifications so far. Both are fairly simple. The first was to make a self draining keel aft section rather than a hollow keel aft section. My thinking that any hollow space under water and under pressure is going to take on water eventually, so why not design it to take on water and drain it when the boat is hauled out? I figure that the water will replace about 10 lbs. of ballast, but the remaining moveable ballast will need to be moved a bit forward to compensate. The second modification was to increase the width of the footwell to 14". This is easily done by adding 2 plywood pads to the forward side of bulkhead 7 on either side of the centerboard case and cutting the footwell headers in bulkhead 7 and the footwell cutout in bulkhead 8 1" wider on each side. The material comes out of the waste on bulkhead 7. The original slot is filled with epoxy and will be covered by the cleats. You need to cut a new floor board 2 inches wider than the original, but there is enough spare material in the kit to do that.
Donm1753

Postby sean on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:56 pm

I was curious how widening the footwell section turned out. Do you have any pictures of the assembly steps you described? Is there still room for the lazerette compartment lid to fit and open properly?
sean

Postby decurtis on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:10 am

The major mod I made to my Pocketship was what I call lazarette decking. My lazarettes are not open to the flotation foam in the aft watertight compartment but are their own watertight compartments. Makes it much easier and convenient for storage. Photos are here:

http://pocketshipadventure.blogspot.com/2009/06/construction-update.html
decurtis

Postby Donm1753 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:40 am

sean wrote:I was curious how widening the footwell section turned out. Do you have any pictures of the assembly steps you described? Is there still room for the lazerette compartment lid to fit and open properly?

I'm not that far along yet to answer your questions. I'll try to post some photos as I go. Scaling off the plans I should have room for the Bomar hatch specified. If not, I found one from a different manufacturer that is 1" narrower.
Donm1753

Postby Wood_Ogre on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:55 am

Some mods I would be interested in are . second set of shrouds for mounting running light boxes and ratlines. Of coarse want dead eyes and belaying pins. Want to see baggy wrinkles on the shrouds. If a second set of shrouds were added I think that the front port lights would have to be moved forward a couple inches. Another thought is centerboard composition built with stainless steel core or lead core. ( I have to sit down and figure the weight factor out ) Centerboard box inside glassed with kevlar for abrasin resistence. The current centerboard box looks like it can be fitted with a lock down so the board can not fall back in the box in case of knock down. I have found that ply built centerboard warp over time and end up sticking in the box.
Wood_Ogre

Postby kayakgirl on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:35 pm

I am considering leaving off the dorade boxes and anchor well sides. I'd add an extra layer of sheer clamps before laying down the foredeck to compensate for strength, and build bits and chocks to hold the bowsprit in place rather than the breasthook. I'd prefer having a larger front deck and lower profile than the enclosed anchor well. Anyone see any potential problems with this idea?
kayakgirl

Postby mtsailor on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Not having dorade boxes/vents should be no problem in the higher/dryer latitudes. A set of nice port lights looking out on the foredeck would be real nice, too...... BTW, I put doublers on both sides of the hull which extend up to the bow sprit hole, primarily to beef-up the hull where my little brass hawse pipes go, and they add lateral strength to support the bowsprit. Jer, aka mtsailor. http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus
mtsailor

Postby Wood_Ogre on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Mt sailor, can you explane the doublers. Is that thicker hull panels in the anchor well? The hauser pipes are cool ! What are there measurements ? Are they going to be located back toward the dorade boxes and down low? My consern was the anchor well filling up with water and not draining fast enough . My thought was that your hauser pipes are big enough that they would drain that area real fast if they were down low. My other consern is draining the foot well. Any other thoughts you have on places that need beefed up? I have allready desided that the cock pit seat, need beefed up. I was thinking about adding another set of shrouds, Useing dead eyes and rat lines with belaying pins. Like the idea of baggy wrinkles on the aft shrouds. I would like to hear any ideas that anyone has about where to beef things up ? Whats cool about pocket ship is that it is small enough to play around with different rigging set ups with out breaking the bank. Gaff rig cutter ? Jib boom? Any ideas for anything? Aloha ,Wood_Ogre
Wood_Ogre

Postby mtsailor on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:58 am

Ogre: I thought it was necessary to glass both sides of the cockpit decking and floor in order to beef it up. I also put an additional lateral stringer across under the cockpit seating where I figured people would be jumping into the boat. That area just didn't look strong enough for people like me (220 lbs) to be bouncing around on without some reinforcement. The cockpit floor was also glassed on both sides but should be strong enough as designed.

Photos of the hawse pipes and doublers are at http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus Pocketship Project, last couple of frames. The hawse pipes could be lower but would interfere with the rub rails (which are not installed yet in the pictures). Placement was dictated by aesthetics, but they would help drain the foredeck if it were flooded.

I'm going with two one inch holes in the rear corners of the cockpit. We'll see how that works.... Can always put another hole in the center.

I'm on the lookout for a nice set of old brass nav lamps to be placed in boxes on the shrouds. If I find some I'll go with double shrouds just to support the boxes.

Good luck. Jer, aka mtsailor. http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus
mtsailor

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum