Trolling motor experiment results

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Trolling motor experiment results

Postby decurtis on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:50 pm

I have now had the opportunity to test out my electric trolling motor auxiliary propulsion on my Pocketship and the official results are in. I am now in the process of purchasing a 2.5 or 3.5 HP outboard. The 40 or 50 lbs of thrust are sufficient in the calm waters of the harbour but against strong winds or some chop progress is painfully slow. I also found out that I was always having to make sure the battery is charged , especially if I have not ben sailing for a few weeks. I also do not like the extra cables going from the battery and though the cockpit to the motor. At this point rerouting the cables through the bilge and up through the aft waterproof compartments would be quite a job. I could probably survive with the trolling motor if I really needed to but for piece of mind a small outboard seems more appropriate and safer for sure if I ran into some bad weather on a longer sailing outing.
decurtis

Re: Trolling motor experiment results

Postby biel on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi,

I presume a 2HP outboard is the equivalent of your electric trolling motor in terms of thrust? How would you say you were able to achieve in calm waters using your electic trolling system?

Cheers,

Biel
biel

Postby decurtis on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:20 am

From my research a 2.5 hp Yamaha will be almost 80 lbs of thrust or twice what my electric trolling motor is. I am assuming your other question is about speed. In perfectly calm waters the trolling motor was probably a couple of knots at the most, similar to a very slow speed that you would use in a marina's no wake zone.
decurtis

Postby biel on Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:04 am

Thanks Dave,

Yes, my second question was in reference to the speed that could be achieved. Now I have pretty fair idea on the speed I may obtain out of the Yamaha 2HP outboard I have at home, which I am eyeing to be used for manouvering around the dock area.

Cheers,

Biel
biel

Return to PocketShip Forum