Paint for cabin

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Paint for cabin

Postby SHyland83 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:50 am

I recently finished fitting my floorboards and removed them. I primed the inside of the boat with interlux prekote and I am ready to sand it down and paint. In the manual John suggests a good oil based house paint. In NY state I may as well be searching for the holy grail. Due to VOC laws it is illegal to sell it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use instead? My thought is to buy interlux brightside polyurethane but it's over 100 dollars a gallon. Thanks for the help
SHyland83

Re: Paint for cabin

Postby jeff on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Hello, I painted the interior and exterior with Interlux Brightside. I purchased the paint from an on line company called Jamestown distributors. Their prices are very fair, I think I paid $27.00 a qt. On the interior i used maybe 1 qt. and covered the areas I chose with three coats. I used the recommended roll and tip method and it works great. I painted the hull using Brightsides and used 2 qts. Good luck and use the brushing thinner interlux recommends for the best results. Jeff
jeff

Postby Shudoman on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:04 pm

jeff wrote:Hello, I painted the interior and exterior with Interlux Brightside. I purchased the paint from an on line company called Jamestown distributors. Their prices are very fair, I think I paid $27.00 a qt. On the interior i used maybe 1 qt. and covered the areas I chose with three coats. I used the recommended roll and tip method and it works great. I painted the hull using Brightsides and used 2 qts. Good luck and use the brushing thinner interlux recommends for the best results. Jeff

Jeff,

I've seen the interior paint job you did in your progress photos.... It's magnificent! I will be using a lot of your ideas as I build mine. Thanks for the pics.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby decurtis on Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:13 am

I used a good quality oil based house paint and it turned out fine but probably not as durable as Interlux Brightsides. Next year, I am probably going to install foam cabin lining like in the Pocketship prototype.
decurtis

Return to PocketShip Forum