Lead Problems

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Lead Problems

Postby Desert Jay on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm almost ready to begin my "P-ship", plans are here and wood should arrive in the next week. I'm moving from the bliss of fantasy to the terror of reality! But I have some lead pouring issues. Apparently, since Jan, 2010, the state of California has stopped the use of lead in the state so I'm having some problems locating enough. I bought a bucket of dirty, lead weights from a used tire shop but it's not quite 100 lbs. My question is, since the weights all have metal clips on them where they attached to the wheels and these clips are not made of lead (and I assume have a much higher melting point than lead)- what happens to these clips when I attempt to melt the lead? Am I missing something or just needlessly fretting. Any feedback from you experienced boatbuilders or amateur alchemists would be appreciated.

Jay
Desert Jay

Re: Lead Problems

Postby Wood_Ogre on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm

All that crap is going to float to the surface and is skimmed off. Google - melting lead wheel weights. You will find a whole bunch of videos on you tube. Watch them all and you will become an expert in no time. Hurry up and finish your P-ship before California bans home built sailboats !!
Desert Jay wrote:Hi Everyone,
I'm almost ready to begin my "P-ship", plans are here and wood should arrive in the next week. I'm moving from the bliss of fantasy to the terror of reality! But I have some lead pouring issues. Apparently, since Jan, 2010, the state of California has stopped the use of lead in the state so I'm having some problems locating enough. I bought a bucket of dirty, lead weights from a used tire shop but it's not quite 100 lbs. My question is, since the weights all have metal clips on them where they attached to the wheels and these clips are not made of lead (and I assume have a much higher melting point than lead)- what happens to these clips when I attempt to melt the lead? Am I missing something or just needlessly fretting. Any feedback from you experienced boatbuilders or amateur alchemists would be appreciated.

Jay
Wood_Ogre

Postby decurtis on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:40 pm

I used a cast iron kettle for melting my lead and found out you don't have to bother skimming off all the floating crap; just pour the melted lead through the spout and the spout traps all the non-melted stuff. Then just dump out the junk and start your next batch. You will need a good pair of welders gloves or similar to hold the hot pot.

Details and photos are here:

http://pocketshipadventure.blogspot.com/2009/04/get-lead-out.html
decurtis

Postby Desert Jay on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks guys. I did You Tube it and my confidence level is up. The wood arrived today so I guess all my stalling excuses are exhausted.

Jay
Desert Jay

Postby Wood_Ogre on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 pm

I really want to see pictures of your build! Lots and lots of pictures. Would like to see some close ups of the keel build !! Thanks. Wood_Ogre
Wood_Ogre

Return to PocketShip Forum