Pocketship questions

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Pocketship questions

Postby sean27 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi, I am thinking about building Pocketship but have some questions.

The plans look like they come with full size patterns for a lot of the parts. I actually would prefer to draw out the parts myself because unless the patterns are on mylar, my experience is that the patterns aren't always accurate to the designed dimensions. Do the plans include measurements for all the parts that are included in the full size patterns?

How wide is the cockpit footwell? It looks like it is only 1 foot wide which doesn't seem adequate for someone with big feet or if you are wearing a pair of rubber boots. For those that have sailed or building pocketship, what are your thoughts on the cockpit footwell width?

What is the (general) inside height in the cabin from sole to cabin top? I have seen the picture of John sitting in the cabin but he is very slouched in the picture.

How much length is there in the cabin from the front bulkhead to before the sole goes under the cockpit? (length with sitting height under the cabin roof) Looks to be about maybe 4 ft.

thanks for any and all information.
sean27

Re: Pocketship questions

Postby Wood_Ogre on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:19 pm

myself because unless the patterns are on mylar, my experience is that the patterns aren't always accurate to the designed dimensions== I have heard that comment myself and have often wondered about it. I worry about that myself. I have used pattern up to 12 ft. and glue them to 1/4 vinel coated masonite to make router templates. I to would like to hear from experienced builders on the difficulties of useing paper templates.
Wood_Ogre

Postby garciaa on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:16 am

I've been considering Pocketship also, and have some of the same concerns.
Especially the narrow footwell, my feet are pretty big and would like a "wiggle room".
I wonder if anyone has made any "modifications" to the original plans to provide more room there?
garciaa

Postby decurtis on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:25 am

I built my Pocketship from the full sized paper patterns and everything went together fine so in my opinion transferring to Mylar would be a waste of time. It was my very first boat build of any kind and the patterns were transferred in cold weather, in the basement, hot weather, and all temperatures in between. If the paper patterns worked for a novice builder I am sure they will work for anyone else. There are full sized patterns for EVERY part of the boat. There are also 11 pages of traditional scaled architectural drawings including sails and spars. The footwell is exactly 1 foot wide and has accommodated my size 11's okay. My plans are at the cottage but the cabin is probably about 4 feet long. It is surprisingly spacious. I am 6 feet tall and easily sit inside without worrying about whether my head is going to hit the cabin top.
decurtis

Postby Wood_Ogre on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks Dave, Pattern work OK. I have a size 11 foot also, and am 6 ft. So everything passes ! Dave are there any personal changes you would make if you did it over ?
Wood_Ogre

Postby sean27 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:00 pm

After looking at the CLC website I most likely would get the kit so the patterns would be a non issue.
I am also 6' tall so the cabin should be OK.

I am still concerned about the 12" wide cockpit footwell. That really is skinny and not usual to any boat I have sailed. I am probably going to do a mock up and see how it feels.

How deep is the footwell from sole to seat top?
sean27

Postby decurtis on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:32 pm

The footwell is 10 inches deep.

As for what would I do different if I did it over ... This was my very first boat build of any kind so I was a little reluctant to stray too far from the plans. I did some minor cosmetic customization such as brass deadlights, using left over sapele from the transom for the rudder and tabernacle, finishing the companionway hood bright instead of painted, and using pre-finished solid teak hardwood flooring for the cabin decking. The only structural change I made was to install lazarette decking to separate the lazarette storage from the foam in the watertight compartments under the lazarettes.

Currently I am working on mahogany slat decking for the cockpit footwell sole. I looked at constructing a traditional grate but just couldn't bring myself to pay $100 for the dado blade I would need for my table saw. I am also considering making louver panelled doors for the companionway hatch.
decurtis

Postby JonLee on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:07 pm

I was concerned about the width of the footwell too. Then I went aboard PocketShip at the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend. The cockpit was incredibly comfortable. I could find about a dozen ways to arrange myself comfortably. I had been thinking about modifying the width, but after going aboard, I'm not going to make the change. Add some cushions on the seats and you've got yourself one comfy cockpit.
JonLee

Postby garciaa on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for the feedback [b]decurtis and JonLee.
I hope to be starting my PocketShip project in the new year.
garciaa

Return to PocketShip Forum