another one on the way

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

another one on the way

Postby chaertl on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi everyone,

My Pocketship is scheduled to ship March 31st so this is most likely the first of many questions. Is the lead in the keel forward of the center board trunk covered with a wood cap strip like the rear or is it filled to the top and glued directly to the keelson?

Thanks,

Chris
chaertl

Re: another one on the way

Postby JonLee on Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Great! Welcome to the "current builders" club. :-)

Your question is timely, since I plan to cut out the cap tomorrow! The way I read the manual, the cap is only on the aft part of the keel. It makes sense once you see how much surface area for glueing the top of the noseblock provides relative ot the overall area forward of the CB trunk.
JonLee

Postby kilderkin on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:50 am

I got my kit in mid February, so far I've made all the spars, center-board, rudder, tiller and keel. I finished pouring lead two days ago, waiting for the garage to reach 60deg for the next step. I have a cap for the stern part of the keel, the keelson fits over that cap, and directly over the forward lead and noseblock. One difference is that I'm putting two stainless screws into the noseblock to ensure both alignment and good adhesion. I also needed to put two small blocks inside the aftmost keel chamber as the plywood was slightly bowed in - this maintains the shape.

Where are you? I'm in MA, where it snowed yesterday!
kilderkin

Postby chaertl on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks guys,

That's how I was interpreting the manual but ran across a blog showing a cap on that section. I'm on the west side of Minneapolis Kilderkin where we've lost two feet of snow last week but are getting more tonight. If the wetlands behind the house fill up anymore I'll have lake front property to launch the Pocketship in in!

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum