Sheer clamps

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sheer clamps

Postby SHyland83 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm

I milled some clear pine for my sheer clamps and I am almost ready to install them. It seams like the 3/4"x1" sheer clamps will almost definitely not be flexible enough to bend to the curve of the hull. Has anyone had this problem and have a solution? Should I Make the sheer clamps thinner? Should i steam them to soften them up? Any ideas?
SHyland83

Re: Sheer clamps

Postby chaertl on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 pm

You could try slicing half way through them every inch or so or try using two 3/8 x 1" instead of one. The main purpose is to provide gluing surface for the deck so either way should work.

Chris
chaertl

Postby Desert Jay on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:31 pm

On my pocketship I did put a cap on the fore part of the keel (that may have been my blog where you saw it). Frankly I don't remember what it said in the manual but the surface of the lead after my pour was rather uneven. I chose to put a cap on because I wanted a good surface for the keelson to secure against. My lead surface look like a still life of a small gale at sea.
Good luck on the build. You'll smile more than you'll cry.

Jay
Desert Jay

Postby Desert Jay on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Ooops. I answered the wrong post. Sorry.
Jay
Desert Jay

Postby chaertl on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Got it Jay, mine's supposed to ship tommorrw!

Chris
chaertl

Postby SHyland83 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks. I realized once i started working with it that because you have the solid bulkhead to bend it around i was able to get it in without modifying it.
SHyland83

Return to PocketShip Forum