Accessories?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Accessories?

Postby aschilpp on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Well, seeing as that it is very nearly springtime here in New England I figure it's about time to bring Ataraxia out of the garage and get to working on all the upgrades and accessories I had to wait on to get the boat out on the water last summer. For those of you about to chastise me for not working throughout the winter, I would like to point out that we have had nearly 90" of snow this winter. I was hibernating.

However, I am curious as to what some of the accessories other people have chosen to use on their pocketships? I'm specifically curious about electrical components, and the nice interior vents I've seen on the dorades? I've done a fair amount of reading on everyone's engines and it seems like the Tohatsu 6hp is the one to go with unless someone has a better suggestion. Also, I saw on Jeff's pocketship that he had found/made cushions specifically for the boat? Very impressive! Did you design and make these yourself? This might be a fun little side project and certainly nicer looking than the store bought flotation cushions I have.

Cheers all!
Adam
aschilpp

Re: Accessories?

Postby chaertl on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi Adam,

Those butterfly vents are available from West Marine, they're made by Sea-Dog and the part number for the 4" is 331440-1. There's also some intresting solar vents for the dorades I'm considering but they're kind of pricey. Can't help on much else since my Pocketship is being delivered Friday.

Chris
chaertl

Postby kilderkin on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Adam,

SteveW from Marlborough here - been building everything except the hull in my basement in MA, waiting for 60deg weather!

I've ordered the 6HP Tohatsu, but saw the SailPro's propeller only had a 6" pitch - designed to push a larger sailboat slowly. I've requested an 8" or 9" pitch, hoping for lower revs for the same speed.

I'm planning a Gp27 battery (50lb of the internal ballast!), connected to the Tohatsu and a home-built solar panel (I had landscape lights left over from a project). I'll need a panel, then I can have LED interior lights, LED nav lights, a fan or two, and a small bilge bilge pump. I know, all the parts will float, but she'll be on a mooring for 10 days once a year, and I prefer the option to be there. I'll also run in wires for my hand-held GPS and radio so they are not running on AA cells.

I want (need) to put a Portapotti there - happens as you get older! Any experience or advice?

Other elements to be added include a wind direction indicator (what type, where to mount), and the flag.

I'm going to make the tabernacle removable, and suspect that the boom cratch will need to be foldable, so I can get her into my garage - the Craig's List trailer is a little higher than I thought.

I need to set up with you to see Ataraxia, so I'll give you a call.

SteveW
Kilderkin II
kilderkin

Postby JonLee on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:04 pm

I've noticed that there are a couple of seamstresses and uphostery shops around. Many moons from now, when I'm ready to think about cushions, I'm planning on visiting a couple of those places to see what they can do for me.

I saw that Sean installed a bilge pump in his Pocketship. He said it is a whale supersub 60. I'm thinking about following his lead on that one.

I'm also been looking a lot at Garmin Chartplotters/depth sounders. Ge the GPS and the sounder all rolled into one that way. The downside is the beaucoup dollars required for one of those.

Like most people, I'm looking at the Tohatsu motors. I keep going back and forth between the 3.5hp long shaft and the 6hp Sail Drive. The 6hp seems like overkill for this little vessel, but does include some nice features like a F/N/R transmission, external fuel tank, and a generator...all features I want.

LED cabin lights, a nice compass, and maybe a ship's bell are also on my list.
JonLee

Return to PocketShip Forum