floor cleat on bulkhead 2

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

floor cleat on bulkhead 2

Postby chaertl on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:59 pm

On another thread people mentioned how the floor cleat on bulkhead 2 wound up 1/2" to high. Since I'll most likely be gluing it on this week can anyone give me the correct height for this one?

Thanks,

Chris
chaertl

Re: floor cleat on bulkhead 2

Postby biel on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:33 am

I didn't have a problem with Bulkhead #2 in terms of its height, however, my Bulkhead #3 was 3/16th of an inch lower than the other bulkheads, which I simply fixed by adding a strip of 3/16th thick plywood on top of its cleat so that it would exactly be level with the other bulkheads.

Dry fit all of your bulkheads, stitch them properly unto the hull bottom, to ascertain that they are all true and level with each other, then make the necessary adjustments to the bulkhead not true with the others.
biel

Postby chaertl on Sun May 01, 2011 5:10 am

Just an update on this. I used the 5 9/16" measurement off the plans thinking the problems some have had might have been caused by measureing from the top of the limber hole and it turned out 1/2" to high. Luckily I caught it before glueing the bulkhead in and routered it down last night. The correct height is just below the number 2 routered in the bulkhead on the kits.

Chris
chaertl

Postby JonLee on Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 pm

I am building from plans. I checked the height of the cleat on Floor 2 whileI was aligning/leveling the hull prior to doing the "tack welds." It came out ok. I used the height specified in the plans.
JonLee

Postby Desert Jay on Tue May 24, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm currently doing my "tack welds". What a pain. I hope I do a better job with the final fillets! My bulkheads are in and my floor #3 is a tad low compared to the others. I struggled to pull my hull up tight to the bulkhead surfaces. I talked to John Harris about my struggles and repeated broken wires and we concluded that the climate here is dry and the plywood may not be as "alive" as in a damper climate. So I did my best and am filling in the gaps with epoxy. I believe there is probably a fair amount of variance on how tight we pull that hull up to the supports and this may account in some way for different heights in the supports. I'm just glad that I came up short so I can add a thin strip vs. having the bulkhead support too high and figuring how to make it lower. But no matter what I'm having a fantastic time building this thing.
Desert Jay

Postby chaertl on Tue May 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Jay,

I had trouble getting the bottom panels pulled up to the front bulkheads until I carefully drilled some pilot holes and ran some drywall screws into them. They didn't fight to much after that. Another issue I've run into is the sides don't touch the front of the cradle without pulling them out of fair. The two could be related. So far so good though.

Chris

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/medi ... 1171196421[/url]
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum