Could PocketShip be the first boat I've ever built?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Could PocketShip be the first boat I've ever built?

Postby JeffBC on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:21 pm

What skills are needed? How best to learn them? Can it be done without having built a boat previously?

My favorite Kit Car company has a build school every month where 12 people get together and build the car - in 3 days! At the end of the school you've worked on every sub assembly, and have learned all the necessary skills (while being watched and taught by an instructor): http://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/build/school.html - anything like that exist for PocketShip?
Member of the Boston Sailing Center
JeffBC

Re: Could PocketShip be the first boat I've ever built?

Postby Desert Jay on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi Jeff,
Don't underestimate your skills. Previous boatbuilding experience is unnecessary. I'm in the middle of building the Pocketship- my 1st boat- and it's a blast. I have some woodworking experience (hobby only) but never things with curved surfaces. I chose to build from patterns (vs. pre-cut kit) and the plans are great. I take my time and everything fits nicely. I wish I had some previous experience with epoxy because that is a steep learning curve. I can sand away most of those hand prints though. It's been a wonderful experience because I continually face tasks that seem impossible but since nobody is there to help I have to dive right in. And guess what? It keeps turning out great. And the final prize- sailing this obsession- is always dangling out in front as motivation. I can't wait.
So I would recommend you not waiting. Get going, you'll love it.
Jay
Desert Jay

Postby kayakgirl on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:14 pm

I would agree. I had built a kayak before, but everything was already cut and compared to this project, super easy. But--this project is fun figuring things out as you go. I'm taking my time and enjoying the process of building, and so far so good.
kayakgirl

Postby decurtis on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Go for it, if I can launch the first Pocketship after the prototype I'm sure any average handyman can. However, I will reiterate that working with epoxy and fiberglass can be intimidating at first. But if you read all the help available in the excellent manual and on this forum and the CLC website it all starts to come together.
decurtis

Postby JeffBC on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:20 am

JAEIBC+PocketShip.jpg
JAEIBC+PocketShip.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 6098 times

I took my crew to Mystic to see PocketShip: mission accomplished!

I met and talked to Geoff Kerr of 2 Daughters Boatworks and he was very gracious at answering all my questions and being very supportive. Luckily I couldn't find John C. Harris (lucky for him, that is ;) ). Looks like a great product from a great company!
Member of the Boston Sailing Center
JeffBC

Return to PocketShip Forum