Suzuki 2.5 HP real world test

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Suzuki 2.5 HP real world test

Postby decurtis on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

I finally got to test out my new 2.5HP Suzuki outboard and motor mount on our first sail of the year. Even though I was restricted to 1/2 throttle due to the break-in period the power, torque, and control was far superior to my electric trolling motor experiment. The photos show the motor in its up and down position when trailered and while on the water. When in the down position the cavitation plate is a good 4 or 5 inches below the waterline. I think this small motor and bracket is probably as unobtrusive as you can get for hanging an outboard off the back of Pocketship's fine looking transom.

IMGP5935.jpg
Up position
IMGP5935.jpg (123.66 KiB) Viewed 17692 times
IMGP5937.jpg
Down position
IMGP5937.jpg (106.69 KiB) Viewed 17709 times
sailing.jpg
sailing.jpg (160.89 KiB) Viewed 17625 times
decurtis

Re: Suzuki 2.5 HP real world test

Postby decurtis on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:59 pm

I forgot that I had a question about using a motor bracket like this one. The manufacturer says the motor should be removed for trailering but for my short trip of 2 km to the boat launch it is a bit of a hassle draining the carburetor etc. This outboard only weighs 30 lbs so I was wondering if anyone has experience trailering leaving the outboard on the bracket?

I also forgot to mention that the bracket installation was fairly straightforward but you do have to check where the holes will be drilled. My top holes are inside the transom and cockpit (visible in the photos with a backing plate I still need to shape and finish) but the bottom holes are accessible in the lazarette.
decurtis

Postby Pascal on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:33 pm

I am in the process on deciding what motor to buy. Do you have any tide current were you are and if you do is your 2.5 hp strong enough. I would think that it should but would love your opinion on this. :?: I was in a little trouble on Saturday when we were in a 17 knots of wind with the current against us and a very narrow channel..... :oops: Thank you for your time.
Pascal

Postby decurtis on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:32 am

I sail on Lake Winnipeg, the 10th largest lake in the world, so it is kind of like an inland ocean but no tide currents. It is relatively shallow so can have very heavy chop but I haven't yet been out in higher winds as you have asked about. The 2.5 HP seemed to have lots of torque so my guess is it would be okay in the conditions you describe but the going could be a little slow. You could always step up to a 3.5 or 4 HP but of course then the weight of the motor doubles. When deciding on an outboard you should try to check what the produced pounds of thrust is and not just the overall horsepower. My 2.5 HP Suzuki has almost as much thrust as some other 3.5 and 4 HP outboards. The following is from an article I found online:

"To judge one engine against the another several tests were completed. A Bollard pull test showed that the Mercury 3.5hp and Tohatsu 3.5hp were the most powerful at 90lbs of thrust (These two engines along with the Mariner are virtually identical). The least effective was the Honda 2.3hp at 66lbs of thrust. In between were the Suzuki 2.5hp at 83lbs of thrust, the Yamaha 2.5hp at 78lbs of thrust and the Parsun 2.6hp at 70 lbs of thrust."
decurtis

Postby Pascal on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:57 am

Thank you for the very helpful comments. I decided on the Tohatsu 3.5 hp and I should receive it in the next few days. I also ask about the bracket....These guys at the Washington Marina do not seem to think that I will need to remove the motor when I travel....I will need to read the direction of the bracket carefully. I have a feeling that you are right about removing the motor...( this will be a pain....bad will deal with it ) :) Again thank you for your help ...
Pascal

Postby decurtis on Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Pete M, another Pocketship builder contacted Garelick, the bracket manufacturer, and they couldn't provide any actual technical data on trailering with the motor attached. It would appear that the company is being cautious out of fear of being sued rather than any engineering analysis. I trailered with mine on the weekend and it was fine and Pete has trailered with his 59 lb 6 HP without a problem. Of course, as Pete points out you should trailer with a safety tether hooked to the boat hull just as you do when you are on the water.
decurtis

Postby Pascal on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:50 pm

This sounds about right, thank you for taking the time. You have posted some lovely picture of your boat under sail...I wish that other Pocketship builders would do the same. Our experience may help others....I did a lot of boos boos on mine and they may help the next builders....Pocketship was a great project and I enjoy sharing the experience. ...Happy sailing to all.... :)
Pascal

Postby JonLee on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Well, I just took the plunge and bought the Suzuki 2.5. I'd been sort of leaning that direction for a while, but a great price+no tax+free shipping sealed the deal. It will still be many moons before my boat hits the water, but once it does I'll report on how this little motor works out for me.
JonLee

Return to PocketShip Forum