Weight & Balance . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Weight & Balance . .

Postby tattoo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 pm

After the hull was completed, but just before its turnover, I put a big crowbar under the keel and determined just where the balance point was. Then I kept track of the weight (and positions) of additions made during the remaining construction and equipment loading. When first loaded on the trailer, I had her weighed at a truck scale (axle alone, then axle and front wheel together).

The complete boat without movable ballast, spars and sailing equipment is approximately 720 lbs. 268 lbs of moveable ballast brings it to 988 lbs. Adding the spars and sailing and safety equipment bring the total to about 1,284 lbs.

My crusing and comfort equipment of about 142 lbs brings the grand total to 1,426 lbs. Add the trailer weight of 398 lbs you get a "road transport" weight of just over 1,820 lbs. In that configuration the rig weighed in at a "certified" truck scale at 1,860 lbs. The scale man said the weight was "certified" to plus or minus 20 lbs.

When going on a cruise I also transport an Eastport Nesting Pram in the PocketShip's cockpit. That adds about another 100 lbs to the load. That moves the CG about 3" aft, slightly reducing the tongue weight. I have substituted tires with 8" rims and a load rating of 910 lbs each. Subtracting the tongue weight of about 150 lbs, that brings the tire loading within the load limits. The change of rim size from 12" to 8" has lowered the trailer frame by a little over an inch. That helps when launching from ramps with a shallow slope. I didn't get the full 2" expected of smaller rims because the higher load-rated tires were a little "fatter" than the replaced tires.

Attached are my data and calculations. Maybe some of you can make some use of this data.
Attachments
Weight & B0001.jpg
PocketShip Tattoo data, page 1
Weight & B0001.jpg (193.12 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
Weight & B0002.jpg
PocketShip Tattoo data, page 2
Weight & B0002.jpg (180.3 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: Weight & Balance . .

Postby mtsailor on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am

As I'm at the point of rebuilding an old boat trailer, this info is important and timely. Thanks for all your effort, Pete.

BTW, Apple has changed the iWeb/Gallery and I'm unable to post new photos to that site. Working on setting up another website. Anyhow, the boat is now upside down, the rub rails (mahogany) are done and I'm cleaning up the bottom/hull for glassing and finishing. With another winter planned in AZ, I expect to finish the hull early next summer, roll the boat up, and complete the topside. Maybe it will see water next fall?

Cheers to all. Build good & stay warm. Jer, [email protected]
http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus
mtsailor

Postby tattoo on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:20 pm

While she's upsidedown you might consider caping the keel with a SS 3/4" half oval. See my response to the posting about graphite mix on the keel.
tattoo

Postby tattoo on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Here is the Weight & Balance data in "pdf" format.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum