Is the Pocketship the right one?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Is the Pocketship the right one?

Postby LRFitch on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm brand new to this forum, and looking for a "pocket curiser" to build or buy. I live in Richland, WA near the convluence of the Snake and Columbia Rivers. I'd like to have a sail boat that I can singlehand down the Columbia River, and up the coast to the Straits of Juan de Fuca, then down to Seattle. I'd also like to be able to safely sail down the west coast from Seattle to Mexico. Is the Pocket Ship an accpetable boat for such use? I'm a bit concerned that the PocketShip might be a bit of a "light weight" for such trips. What are the thoughts of the people that know a lot more about this wonderful little boat? Would you set out for Seattle in a PocketShip?

Sincerely,

Larry Fitch
LRFitch

Re: Is the Pocketship the right one?

Postby John C. Harris on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:39 am

I would do it, yes, but then I've been sailing in small boats for 35 years. All things being equal, PocketShip is up to a trip like that. But the skipper's skill and common sense will play a big part.

Kinda like driving a fast sports car. I could lap the Nurburgring in a twitchy GT car as long as I didn't push it. Lacking long experience with such cars, if I tried a lap at 10/10ths I'd probably end up in a ditch. If you haven't internalized how to manage a 15-foot boat in a nasty squall, there's a storm out there with your name on it.

For years I've been pushing the following definition of seaworthiness:

Seaworthy. Adjective. In a boat or ship, the condition of being crewed by sailors competent to know the limitations of the boat and themselves.
John C. Harris

Postby LRFitch on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:46 am

John,
Thank you for you quick and thoughtful response. Your statements were exactly what I was looking for. You have no way of knowing anything about my sailing abilities, and in any boat, small or large, the skill of the skipper and crew is always critical to a safe voyage. I do happen to consider myself qualified to skipper such trips. I'm not sure I have the level of experience you have, but I've sailed boats from 8' prams to 65' cutters, as well as several powered boats. I didn't start sailing until I was 14, the same year I got my Idaho drivers (day-light only) license 55 years ago.

With your input now understood, I'll start looking in earnest at the PocketShip.

Thanks Again,

Larry Fitch
West Richland, WA
LRFitch

Postby jwv630 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:46 am

Hey Larry:

Not much a sailor here but my Dad and I built a Skerry from CLC several years ago; now in the early building stages of a Pocketship. The guys at CLC always offer extraordinary service and are really dedicated to their customers. Can't go wrong with these folks...Check out my blog if you like at www.jimspocketship.blogspot.com. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Jim Vitale
[email protected]
jwv630

Postby drunkensailor on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:17 pm

This question is also for John,
When you said 'pocketship is up to the trip' did you mean Seattle to Mexico or Columbia river to Seattle.
Thanks,
Walter
Ps. I'm not actually a drunk, unfortunately I'm not much of a sailor either. :D
drunkensailor

Postby John C. Harris on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:21 am

There are some long stretches along that route that would qualify as dangerous for any boat in PocketShip's class. Rough water, and little shelter close to hand. (And in some of those cases, frightening and tricky approaches.)

In experienced hands, and with extreme caution in picking weather, a stock PocketShip would be fine. Right there, that's a lot of variables, already. As long as you stay out of breaking waves, PocketShip is a sturdy, stable, corked bottle. But I would be psychotic to issue a blanket statement of approval for anyone undertaking overnight blue water passages in a 13'6" waterline sailboat. A lot of fine print applies.

Maybe I need to add another line to my "seaworthiness" definition:

Seaworthy. Adjective. In a boat or ship, the condition of being crewed by sailors competent to know the limitations of the boat and themselves, notwithstanding any claims by the designer or builder.
John C. Harris

Postby drunkensailor on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:36 pm

John,
Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm not crazy. I don't plan on sailing off into stormy weather or huge waves in pocketship. I just wanted to know it's limits. Ideally I'd like to build my pocketship, learn to sail it around mission bay and San Diego harbor then, when I feel confident enough sail out to Catalina. Eventually, when I've built up enough experience maybe tow it down to La Paz and sail across to mainland Mexico to surf some of the great waves near Mazatlan. My friends don't think pocketship could pull it off. I thought if pocketship is capable of sailing in the pacific northwest it should be able to do what I want it to. Anyway, thanks again for the response. Btw I think pocketship is one of the prettiest boats around (it looks like a little BCC).
Walter
drunkensailor

Postby DocG on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:05 am

Just became familiar with Pocketship. Am in Seattle and wondering if anyone is currently up here so I can take a look at one firsthand. Very cool blog guys!
DocG

Return to PocketShip Forum