rigging question

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

rigging question

Postby chaertl on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Since I'm gluing up my mast I figured I should start working out the rigging details. The manual shows the three main halyards all dead ending on eye straps next to their respective blocks. Since these eye straps don't appear to be through bolted wouldn't using a block with a beckett to tie off on be a more secure and cleaner way rig them or is there a loading issue I'm over looking? Also, the eyepads for the standing rigging are rated at 750 lbs working load with a breaking strength of 1500 lbs but are attached to 5/32" 7 x 19 cable with a breaking strength 2400 lbs. Could 1/8" 7 x 19 cable be safely used here with a breaking strength of 1760 lbs?
Thanks,

Chris
chaertl

Re: rigging question

Postby John C. Harris on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:44 am

>
>>Since I'm gluing up my mast I figured I should start working out the rigging details. The manual shows the three main halyards all dead ending on eye straps next to their respective blocks. Since these eye straps don't appear to be through bolted wouldn't using a block with a beckett to tie off on be a more secure and cleaner way rig them or is there a loading issue I'm over looking?
>>
>

With 2:1 halyards, the loads are pretty low. I can't imagine ripping out those eyestraps. I use the dead-ended-to-an-eyestrap trick because you get slightly fairer leads for the halyards that way.

>>>>Also, the eyepads for the standing rigging are rated at 750 lbs working load with a breaking strength of 1500 lbs but are attached to 5/32" 7 x 19 cable with a breaking strength 2400 lbs. Could 1/8" 7 x 19 cable be safely used here with a breaking strength of 1760 lbs?
>>>>>

I'm sure 1760lbs is enough. More than the boat weighs....you will depart the water before it will break. I think I chose that 5/32 7x19 cable because it's slightly easier on the hands and harder to kink when fooling around on the trailer.
John C. Harris

Re: rigging question

Postby chaertl on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Thanks John,

I'll give it a try without the eyestraps since it can be switched back pretty easily if things foul to much. Rigging supplies for 1/8" cable are locally available too which makes things easier.

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum