Crew comfort . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Crew comfort . .

Postby tattoo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:16 am

While daysailing, the crew (whether me or my sailing friend) would often sit on a throw-cushion placed on the sil of the cabin hatch. That position was confortable and had a very good view forward. But after a while you felt the sil thru the cushion. So, I made a foulding platform (just the size of the throw-cushion) which was supported by the cabin hatch sil and the top edge of the centerboard trunk. It also serves as a table for meals while sitting on a folding stool in the cabin. And it serves as a gallley. The folding platform is stowed inside the cabin on the starboard side under a shelf.
Construct Detail.jpg
Construction detail for folding seat.
Construct Detail.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 6192 times

The stove is a "Brinkmann" Single Burner Propane Stove "www.brinkmanncorp.com". The legs have been removed and the propane bottle fits thru a 4" hole cut into the platform. The stove & its bottle stow on the cabin shelf (you can see the shelf in the background of the galley photo) which also has a 4" hole cut into it for a "flush" stowage.

The seat/shelf has a small lip around its top so that the cushion or dishware won't easily slide off when tilted by a passing wake. A drawback: entry into the cabin is a bit awkward. On the other hand, the platform is easily removed and stowed.
Attachments
Galley.jpg
One-burner stove on platform
Galley.jpg (61.33 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
1st Mate Seat.jpg
Happy owner serving as First Mate
1st Mate Seat.jpg (60.76 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: Crew comfort . .

Postby decurtis on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Pete,
I always really appreciate your clever ideas that the rest of us can "borrow". I added your companionway slides storage idea to my Pocketship last year.

Thanks,
Dave
decurtis

Postby jwv630 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Tatoo:

Ingenious.....

Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby JonLee on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks for sharing all of these ideas, Pete! I see quite a few things that are definitely going into my boat.
JonLee

Postby Pascal on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am

Great idea...love this. This will go on Naoned for sure..any copyrights ? Thank you
Pascal

Return to PocketShip Forum