Cruising convenience . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Cruising convenience . .

Postby tattoo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:48 pm

My first cruise was not successful! I had all my camping stuff in boxes on the cabin floor and in the forpeak and the port-a-potti on the floor starboard-side and aft under the cockpit deck. I tried to brew coffee with a small propane campstove in the cockpit. When I needed something ... I couldn't find it.

The solution! Get stuff out of boxes and off the cabin floor. So I installed a shelf (1/2" plywood) along the starboard side of the cabin. I'm surprised as to how little it gets in my way. It rests on cleats installed just above the access opening to the starboard side forepeak and (at the same level) on the forward side of the cabin/cockpit bulkhead. There is a support cleat at the middle and the inboard edge is stiffened by a 1.5" wide x 1/4" thick lip fastened to the curved edge of the shelf. The shelf is held in place with one screw into each cleat. It is easily removed.

The rest of the solution involved stowage of as many things as possible within reach and not in boxes. The first photo shows my folding cabin hatch seat/galley/table stowed on two cleats attached to the starboard side of cabin. My folding camp table and game board is shown stowed (on a single cleat [under the chess board]) in the second photo. From left to right: The camp table, left speaker, red wine stowed (in Dorade box), electric panel, shaving mirror, wash basin, and 2.5 gal water stowage (on shelf in forepeak). The last photo left to right: The (same) wash basin, wine glasses under roof, more red wine stowed (in the other Dorade box), right speaker, cabin shelf with stove on shelf, (and under the shelf) spare propane bottle, sauce pan, fry pan, and 2 shoe-box-size plastic drawers. Notice the stowed folding cabin hatch seat under the shelf. Lots of other stuff can go in the drawers (cooking and eating utinsels) and on the shelf top, such as, binoculars, food & other provisions, etc., etc. Almost nothing will have to be stowed "out of the way in boxes."
Attachments
Folding Seat.jpg
Stowed Folding Seat
Folding Seat.jpg (50.06 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
Portside Cabin.jpg
Camp Table w/ Chess Board Top
Portside Cabin.jpg (53.05 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
Starboard-side Cabin.jpg
Cabin shelf. Notice stowed folding seat/galley/table
Starboard-side Cabin.jpg (52.37 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: Cruising convenience . .

Postby JonLee on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:06 pm

tattoo wrote:My first cruise was not successful!

Hey Pete, as a request, would you be interested in posting the story of your first cruise? This forum could use some sea stories.
JonLee

Return to PocketShip Forum