Weight & Balance Revised . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Weight & Balance Revised . .

Postby tattoo on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Over the winter I had Tattoo off her Trailex trailer and in the shop for some repairs and "after-market" upgrades. Last week she's again on her trailer and (w/o the tabernacle and gallows) back in the garage. It's a tight fit, but she has Pluto (CLC's Eastport Nesting Pram) and my Tacoma for company.

With Tattoo off her trailer I was able to weigh the foot prints with a bathroom scale. Front wheel 107 lbs, starboard wheel 148, port 159; total of 414 lbs. I think the axle weights are different because the front wheel isn't on the centerline. Without any "fitting out" components she was taken to a truck scale certified to be accurate by +/- 20 lbs. The total was 1,200 lbs (all 3 wheels on scale) making the "stripped" boat 786 lbs. The axle-only weight was 1,060 lbs, meaning that the 3rd wheel carried 140 lbs. Considering the geometry of the rig, tongue weight was 119 lbs.

I've weighed all of the "fitting out" components to calculate Tattoo ready for Day Sailing at 1,425 lbs. This includes safty items that might be needed if we didn't get back before dark! Crusing equipment would add 118 lbs for a total of 1,543 lbs. When I take her out of the garage for the spring season I'll weigh her again on the truck scale as a check on my calculations. I'll update this posting. I've attached a sketch of her position on the trailer with dimensions noted. Notice that I have placed the centerline bunk so that there is about a 3 degree slope. I think that helps in launching, but retrival is a little harder. It raises the bow a bit making it easier to keep the winch's bow chock just under the bow eye. I don't have a centerline bunk carpet; however, I have installed a 3/4" SS half oval shoe on the keel for protection. The bunk is lubricated with several application of grease. Because the bunk is almost always in the shade it stays pretty well saturated.

You may note that I've installed 281 lbs of movable lead ballast. That's a bit more that the designer recommended, but most of my sailing is solo. And the battery (54 lbs) which is far forward with 21 lbs of lead under it, and 45 lbs (between bulkheads 2 & 3), counteracts my 200 lbs aft.

I have also aattached the measurements and calculations data. Maybe some of you will find this useful in setting up your PocketShip to trailer interface.
Attachments
Trailer Setup.jpg
Trailer Setup.jpg (157.49 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
W & Bal pg1.jpg
W & Bal pg1.jpg (152.16 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
W & Bal pg2.jpg
W & Bal pg2.jpg (133.42 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum