Rudder hinge . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Rudder hinge . .

Postby tattoo on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 pm

PocketShip's rudder is hung on a hinge (kind of like a door). I think that is better than traditional gudgeons & pintles which may allow the rudder to become "unshipped" unless otherwise restrained. But PocketShip's rudder won't unship even if she's up-side-down. Also, the "wing" on the bottom of the rudder is strong enough to stand on. That provides a way to reboard PocketShip if you fall overboard. Or, go swimming.

I haven't tried it on the water, but I've done it in my driveway. The tiller should be fixed (I use a tiller "clutch") so that the rudder won't swing wildly when you step on the wing. The rudder wing gives you a good lift -- and by grabbing the transom skirt and a gallows support by hand, I was able to climb aboard.

My weight is about 200 lbs. And the timber I used at the end of the skeg was scrap pine. I should have used ash or oak. Also, as designed, all the weight of rudder (and man) is carried by one eye-bolt. That concerned me. So, I added a 5th eye-bolt to the hinge so that the weight is carried by two bolts, not just one. I spaced the 5th bolt a bit below the bolt already installed on the transom. I wanted each bolt on the rudder to be pressed against its (lower) partner bolt (on the transom and skeg) "just so." I made that happen by inserting a bronze bushing (1/2" ID) between the top of lower bolt (on the transom) and the bottom of the top bolt (on the rudder). That bolt (on the rudder) was just under the top bolt (on the transom). The bushing was trimmed by trial and error until the spacing was just right. On the photo showing the lower end of the rudder, notice that the eye-bolt that goes into the skeg is also supported by the placement of a 3/4" SS half-oval. More about the half-oval on another posting. Getting all the "eyes" to line up was a bit of trouble. But I managed and everything works without any binding.
Attachments
DSCF1993.JPG
Top eye-bolt arrangement, Note placement of bushing.
DSCF1993.JPG (233.49 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
DSCF1992.JPG
Bottom eye-bolt arrangement. Note support of 3/4" SS half-oval.
DSCF1992.JPG (107 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum