A "shoe" for PocketShip's keel . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

A "shoe" for PocketShip's keel . .

Postby tattoo on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 pm

The bottom of PocketShip's keel is stock lumber covered by one or two layers of fiberglass. That keel gets draged over the centerline bunk whenever loaded on/off its trailer. And if grounded and/or beached, she may be scraped against who knows what. I wanted some protection.

So, for Tattoo, I installed a "shoe" of 3/4" SS half-oval on the keel from the noseblock to the stern (skipping the centerboard). At the leading edge of each of the two pieces, I cut a shallow (1/8" sloping) groove so that the leading edge (of the half-oval) couldn't snag on anything passing under the keel. The first inch of the leading edge of each half-oval piece was bent and tucked into the groove. She was bedded carefully with compound and screwed in place. Flat-head screws had a better profile than oval-head screws. Even so, they needed filing to keep the edges under the half-oval profile. It adds a little weight, but in the right place (down low).
Attachments
DSCF1978.JPG
Shoe between the noseblock and centerboard well.
DSCF1978.JPG (194.44 KiB) Viewed 10871 times
DSCF1979.JPG
Shoe at aft end of centerboard well.
DSCF1979.JPG (199.69 KiB) Viewed 10903 times
DSCF1980.JPG
The SS shoe showing the aft end arrangement that provides some support for the bottom eye-bolt.
DSCF1980.JPG (213.21 KiB) Viewed 10866 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: A "shoe" for PocketShip's keel . .

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:21 am

There have been several posts lately about keel shoes, so I thought I'd take another look at this one. From what I can tell from the pictures, it looks like you laid the fiberglass before cutting the groove for the shoe. Is that correct?
DanaDCole

Postby Shudoman on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:00 pm

I installed a keel shoe that is almost identical to Tattoo. The steel that I used is pretty expensive 3/4" half oval 316 stainless steel. You can find it a jamestown distributers. I completely finished the bottom including the recommended antifouling and then cut pieces of the half oval for in front and behind the centerboard opening. I dressed the ends of the half round and then installed with 1" #8 Screws bedded in 5200. There was no need to cut grooves or do any milling work to hull to make it accept the half oval.

For a picture check out this link: http://pocketship.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2013-10-16T08:50:00-07:00&max-results=7

Bill
Shudoman

Postby hood on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:25 pm

I used anticorro 14307
Attachments
0137.JPG
0137.JPG (176.13 KiB) Viewed 9961 times
0136.JPG
0136.JPG (148.27 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
0129.JPG
0129.JPG (183.18 KiB) Viewed 9969 times
hood

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks for the posts. I think this definitely looks like the way to go. Just need to be sure the screws are sealed completely to keep out any water infiltration. Shudoman, do you recommend 3M 5200 over epoxy?
DanaDCole

Postby Shudoman on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:14 am

I contemplated both epoxy and 5200. Epoxy is the absolute bullet proof method of sealing the screws. I was just worried that if I ever needed to replace or remove the shoe that I wouldn't be able to get screws out of the epoxy. 5200 is tough and gives me the chance to remove/replace it without struggling to get the screws out.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby truenorth on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:44 am

Probably well known, but thought I'd share. I've sealed enough screws in epoxy to register it is a steel hull if I didn't get them out.

A good way to get them out is to apply the tip of a soldering iron or glue gun to the screw, which will heat the epoxy, and allow it to be removed. The risk of water seepage is higher than the need to get the shoe off. 5200 is great -- epoxy is better. As an aside, I use square drive / cam heads, not Phillips head. Much less risk of stripping the screw.
truenorth

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 am

Good advice from both you guys, and thanks. Believe it or not I have actually managed to strip a square drive screw (am I a total klutz or what?). Would Torx be a better choice? If not, square drive is definitely safer than phillips--I just need to be more careful.
DanaDCole

Postby truenorth on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Torx/Hex goes too far the other way IMO. You want a little give. The square is a good compromise (also known as Robertson heads). Also, since they don't strip as much and maintain their appearance, they're ideal for the cabin sole. Properly placed and shiny screws looks great against finished wood.
truenorth

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Good point re torx and hex. And don't call me Imo. :) (Yeah, I know it means "in my opinion," just couldn't resist the little joke.) You're right that the square-hole heads look really nice, although in this case no one will see them.
Last edited by DanaDCole on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanaDCole

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum