A "staysail" while anchored . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

A "staysail" while anchored . .

Postby tattoo on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Tattoo's first night on the water was in a cove protected from waves but somewhat exposed to the wind. She "sailed around her anchor" all night long. It seemed that she would make a wide arc of almost 180 degrees from one side of the anchor to the other. I tried changing the scope of the rode, CB down / up, tiller lashed and/or let go. Nothing seemed to stop it.

So, I'm going to try a "staysail" that isn't actually on a "stay" but held up by the peak halyard (to its head) and a line (from its clew) through the fairlead at the end of the boom (which when sailing anchors the outhaul) with its bitter end belayed to the transom. A line from its tack goes forward over the top of the gaff and is belayed to the mast. The luff is stiffened with a 1/4" x 1.25" wood batten. It won't take up much space when not in use. Hope she works. I'll report after Tattoo's next time at anchor. If any of you have experience with stabilizing sails (while at anchor) let me know if you consider 4.5 sqft sufficient for a boat like PocketShip. I haven't made the sail yet, so I could still make it larger or smaller.

Note that Tattoo's gaff was made longer by about 8 to 10 inches than the design length. With the extra length the gaff extends just beyond the gallows. There is a short "crutch" that straddles the boom and raises the gaff by about 6". That holds the gaff on the certerline and provides enough space under the gaff to furl the sail [to it] and also provide a little more head room under the tent that I spread over the gaff. So -- I have a "gaff" tent rather than a "boom" tent. The crutch is stowed in one of the coaming "side pockets."
Attachments
Staysail.jpg
Staysail.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: A "staysail" while anchored . .

Postby jwv630 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Hey Tatoo:

Really enjoy your ingenious ideas....Did you consider using a stern anchor (or 2) to prevent the swinging at anchor situation??

Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby tattoo on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Jimmy,

I might have considered a stern anchor (or 2), and rejected the idea because it would keep her pointed into the wind only if the wind direction didn't change. And setting another anchor is a lot of trouble. I just dropped Tattoo off at my canvas shop in Galesville where they are making covers for the cockpit and anchor deck and the stay'sl. If I'm lucky, I may have an oportunity to put her to a "sea test" on Thursday or sometime next week. I was cautioned at the shop that there's no perfect solution, but that this stay'sl should help stabilize her significantly. I'll let the forum know the results.
tattoo

Postby jwv630 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Tatoo:

Ok, good call and good luck. Keep us posted. Appreciate you sharing your innovations here.

Jimmy V
jwv630

Re: A "staysail" while anchored . . , an update!

Postby tattoo on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Henry and I took Tattoo out on a day (about two weeks ago) calling for both reefs to be tucked in. Not a cloud in the sky and warm temp. We anchored for lunch in Gunston Cove (Potomac Rvr) on the Ft. Belvoir side. We were protected from the wave action, but there was a good breeze off shore. We deployed the stay'sl and enjoyed our lunch while observing Tattoo at anchor. She still "sailed around" her anchor. Maybe the stay'sl helped a little, but not by much. I'll try it overnight on my cruise with the Shallow Water Sailors on May 4th ... and report.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum