Sea Trials for engine/tiller linkage . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sea Trials for engine/tiller linkage . .

Postby tattoo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Thursday, February 23, a beautiful day! Mostly sunny with temps in the high 60s. Launched Tattoo from the Washington Sailing Marina around noon. All went well except that my cell phone (in its holster) popped off my belt into the Potomac River. Retrieved it ok, but its not yet working. It's drying out in a bed of uncooked white rice. I'll report later if that works.

Next, the engine (a 6 hp 4-cycle Tohatsu SailPro w/extra long shaft) wouldn't start after about 5 minutes of struggling with the starter cord, choke, etc! Took a break to help another sailor retrieve his boat onto his trailer. He offered to help with the engine. Started right up on the first pull (after resetting the "deadman" switch so there would be an ignition spark)! Did I feel stupid?!

From the south end of Reagan National Airport, motored down the Sailing Marina's channel and then up river along Bolling Field and to the end of the Washington Channel checking out Fort McNair and all the big Washington lobbyist's boats. The engine/tiller linkage worked like a charm! The tiller could swing its full arc without any "clipping" of the rudder by the prop. Much better than [even] an "inboard" with just a rudder. In this arrangement the prop thrust is just in line with the direction of the rudder! This provides a much greater turning "moment" than a rudder alone. Much like an aqua jet. With CB down at 4,000 rpm (about 5+ knots) she would do a U-turn (tiller full over) within [a width of] about 1.5 boat lengths. This worked both to starboard and to port. I didn't try a U-turn in reverse, but [in reverse] she's well under control. The "finger tight" retaining "acorn nut" (for the engine end of the linkage) was not loosened by the engine vibration. The port-side lazerette is not fully accessible while underway unless the linkage is uncoupled (that takes about 1/2 minute), engine placed in neutral, and engine tiller put to starboard. However, when sailing with engine de-linked and tilted up, the lazerette is fully accessible.

Later, for the forum, I will provide detailed dimensional drawings and photographs for the transom cut-out and tiller/engine linkage for those who may be interested.

Pete McCrary, Owner/Skipper of the PocketShip, Tattoo
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: Sea Trials for engine/tiller linkage . .

Postby jwv630 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Pete:

You really know how to hurt a fellow boater. Yes, it was a glorious day yesterday - but was stuck in a windowless conference room for most of the day. Arrrgh! I could here the CLC Skerry that I built with my Dad a few years ago calling for me...won't be long. Love that boat....

By the way, I'm up here in the Towson, Md area; not to far from you. Do most of our boating in the northern Chesapeake Bay out of Middle river; Hart/Miller island area. Just finishing the keel on my Pocketship.

Regards,
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Return to PocketShip Forum