Excavating Centerboard Rabbet - Your Opinion Please

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Excavating Centerboard Rabbet - Your Opinion Please

Postby jwv630 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Boys/Ladies:

Laid low here in Baltimore over the winter but back in the Pocketship building mode now. Feels good and anxious to really start making some progress. My Pocketship is still in the early stages. Keel finished; lead pour next week.

Your opinion please....Page 52 in the manual suggests excavating a 3/8" wide x 3/4" deep rabbet all along the leading and trailing edges of the centerboard. I'm going to use my router and small router table for this procedure.
How would you recommend doing this:
1. Hold the centerboard on router table vertically and run it thru the router using a 3/8" straight(other) bit? (A bit cumbersome)
2. Place the centerboard on the router table horizontally (flat) and run it thru the router using a slotting router bit(s)
3. Other ideas...
Using my tablesaw is out (friend lost part of his thumb recently).

They're calling for 70 degree temps this weekend. Will be sailing the CLC Skerry that Dad/I built a few years ago on the Middle River of the Chesapeake Bay. Thanks for all your help and good luck.

Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Re: Excavating Centerboard Rabbet - Your Opinion Please

Postby JonLee on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I used my tablesaw and, indeed, it was an adrenaline-increasing experience.

My inclination would be to go the "horizontal" route. I'd take a scrap piece of plywood and give it a test run first, though.
JonLee

Postby jwv630 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi JonLee:

Many thanks. I think 'horizontal' is probably going to get the nod; want to get a few opinions on this hopefully. I don't have much experience with routing; actually none. My Dad just bought me a Ryobi 1.25hp so this procedure is it's maiden voyage.

Have enjoyed your website.

Regards,
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby mtsailor on Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 pm

I hand-held the router and ran it around the centerboard which was clamped down to a work bench. It worked well and quick. Good luck. Jer mtsailor http://gallery.me.com/jermcmanus
mtsailor

Postby captain charlie on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I routed mine before I glued the two pieces together, using a 3/8" straight cutter to form a "L" cut in the edges. When I glued the two pieces together, it formed a perfect "U" cutout. And it was safe as can be. Captain Charlie ps glad to hear from someone - I thought everyone was still in hibernation.
captain charlie

Postby Pascal on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:58 am

I did mine with a ball bearing spline bit in the router. This way you can easily do it on your work bench. The depth will be very consistent and the spacing as well. Doing it on a table saw would be dangerous....I am also in Maryland so if you need to use my router bit please let me know...nice to see activity on this forum again....
Pascal

Postby jwv630 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Jerry, Captain Charlie, Pascal:

Many thanks for your considered advice. Not quite sure which way I'll go on this yet but will decide this afternoon and have this rabbet cut by the end of the day. Enjoy your blogs. Thanks again.

Jimmy Vitale
Victory II
jwv630

Return to PocketShip Forum