Tender in Tattoo's cockpit . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Tender in Tattoo's cockpit . .

Postby tattoo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:33 pm

JonLee asked about Tattoo's tender. Pluto is a "Nesting Eastport Pram," a kit by CLC. She rows nicely and is fun to sail. And she tows very well behind Tattoo. Towing weight: Bow section 36 lbs, aft section with transom seat 60 lbs, oars about 7 lbs for a total of 103 lbs. If you bring along the complete sailing rig, that adds another 27 lbs. The two sections in the cockpit (w/o transom seat) but with her removable chocks, totals 98 lbs. Her loaded position so far aft in the cockpit reduces the tongue weight on the tow vehicle a fair amount.

She's a bear to load single-handedly. I've done it by standing in the cockpit and pulling each section up-and-over the coaming. Very hard on my back. I've used the peak halyard which has a x2 mechanical advantage. That works quite well but requires removal of the boom and gaff. That's more setup and takedown time in the parking lot. Two men can load her fairly easily without removing either boom or gaff and with mast raised or not. At the launch ramp I can usually recruit the help of an innocent bystander.

By-the-way, Pluto replaced my Copycat, a 7' 7" Nutshell Pram by WoodenBoat Magazine. CLC manufactures their kit. She has a beach dolly, oars, and a complet sailing rig. AND SHE's FOR SALE!
Attachments
DSCF2172.JPG
The bow section loaded in the cockpit.
DSCF2172.JPG (206.6 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
DSCF2171.JPG
The aft section ready to be lifted up-and-over the coaming. Note that the transom seat has already been removed.
DSCF2171.JPG (184.98 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
DSCF2173.JPG
The aft section is nested over the bow section, completely hiding it.
DSCF2173.JPG (213.13 KiB) Viewed 3934 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: Tender in Tattoo's cockpit . .

Postby jwv630 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Tattoo:

Looks great! Hope you're getting some time on the water now that the weather is nice.

Regards,
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Return to PocketShip Forum